Ladder test target, and how to interpit it

Abniok,

Shot 20 or so more shots today. Learned a little more about the rifle.

Before I did the ladder test I should have sorted the brass. Turns out the 375 with W-760 is sensitive to case capacity variations.

I've now fired all of the new brass and sorted it. Will now shoot loads using sorted case weight lots.

Shot 3sixbits pet load of 76 gr of 4350 and the 270 gr bullet. Velocities were2585/2590/2587. Tho't that was outstanding but the group was a symetrical 3" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Did an abreviated Ladder test, kind of my own invention. Whenever it strings shot vertically I adjust pwdr weight either up or down to get a horizonal string. I jump, in this thing, a couple of grains at a time. Then hunt around the center of the two loads until things get symetical.

Groups are hanging right around an inch and a half with a potential for better.

FWIW

You guys are nuts! Shoot the 76 grains of 4350 it shoots 1 mom(minute of moose) every time. As usual you people have to much time on your hands. What you will achieve by bench testing a .375H&H is a flinch. This is your body reacting to the pain before it happens. Don't let this happen to you! Once this happens you can not unlearn the flinch. Trap shooters are forced to use a pull release trigger because of this. Did I not mention the use of latex tubing to reduce the recoil? SISSY BAG ANYONE? This advise comes from a man that suffers all these maladies. Like your hearing once it's gone, it's gone!

Roy,
Glad to hear its all coming together!
With only shooting at 100yds, its kinda hard to tell a lot... let me give you an example....
Ishot a ladder with 75grVmax out of my 243 the other day. This heavy barrel single shot would put all three shots (of like powder weight) into 3" at 100 yds with the first 3 powders I tried. I was getting mighty annoyed and considering selling this boat paddle when I decided to shoot a ladder with it. I used H414 and a .5gr step (really too large a step for a 308 capaciy case) and sure enough, at 300yds, shots 7 and 8 dropped within a half inch of eachother. Loaded 5 of eac and tested at 300, and 7 shot just over an inch, and 8 shot right at an inch. Just for fun, I loaded five rounds of my #4 load.... 3 inches at 100yds just like the others. go figure.
1.5" groups, 270gr bullet at almost 2600fps sounds like an elk/moose hammer to me!

[ QUOTE ]
You guys are nuts! Shoot the 76 grains of 4350 it shoots 1 mom(minute of moose) every time. As usual you people have to much time on your hands. What you will achieve by bench testing a .375H&H is a flinch. This is your body reacting to the pain before it happens. Don't let this happen to you! Once this happens you can not unlearn the flinch. Trap shooters are forced to use a pull release trigger because of this. Did I not mention the use of latex tubing to reduce the recoil? SISSY BAG ANYONE? This advise comes from a man that suffers all these maladies. Like your hearing once it's gone, it's gone!

[/ QUOTE ]
anticipating recoil can be overcome.
It aint easy, and a whole lotta dry firing helps, but the best solution is a light recoiling rifle that you have learned to dry fire without anticipatiog recoil, and a friend who will load your rifle for you while you have your back turned. Approach the rifle each time with a "mind over matter, this thing does not hurt when i shoot i, and im going to execute a perfect shot" mindset. One time your friend will leave the chamber empty, and you get a click, another time he loads the chamber, and you poke a hole in paper.
"flinching" due to anticipation of recoil can be overcome, it just takes lots of repetition.

"flinching" due to anticipation of recoil can be overcome, it just takes lots of repetition.

[/ QUOTE ] NO SIR that is not correct as a trained Neurologist will be happy to confirm. Once the body has been hammered to a point, no tricks will help! I have a friend that suffered a stroke due to recoil induced trauma. Shooting a .600 NITRO you don't fool around with this stuff from a bench without proper preparation. Oh yes you can get by for a while, but it will catch-up. It's your body sir and you can do what ever you feel like.

((SHRUGS))
Im just quoting Lanny Bassam, Lones Wigger, and TD Smith on this one. I have also personally taught shooters who learned how to flinch on shotguns how to shoot Precision air rifle. One of those students suffered a detached retena due to repeated firing of a 416 rigby that he described as "really light". He used a crossover prism so he could shoot right handed with his left (good) eye, but he seems perfectly capable of depressing a trigger without anticipating recoil. Maybe it does "catch up with you" but I know guys who learned how flinch behind a metal military butplate who are superb smallbore shooters. But im only talking about guys who have been "getting by for a while" for 15years or so. Maybe it hasn't caught up to them yet, Idunno.

Yep, I'm nuts but,

There really ain't no pain. Its stout alright. I recognize I'm a bit carried away from what ever I've been doing in the past but I really like this rifle.

Yesterday, ****'d if a coyote didn't run across my range @ about 150 yds. Kind of on a high lope. Didn't have much time. Had just arrived with three more loads. As I put them in the tray I spied the yote. Went into warp speed. Shot purely off hand. No ear protection no nothing. Shot "just" under its chest. Could get in the swing of the lope. I'm seriously thinking of doing away with the 338 win.

I don't know how close you Alaska folks can get to a moose but around here the first opportunity may be 50' or 300' yds. If the shot is @ 300 yds I want to be confident in the load. 3" @ 100 doesn't cut it. I've tried to get closer to one first seen @ about 100o yds and couldn't ever find it (no snow). So.......... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.