OCW/Ladder test...how often clean barrel?

Bigeclipse

Assuming you are shooting multiple strings in both tests...do you guys clean your barrel at all, or do you run through all 30 shots on one barrel cleaning?

I think im leaning towards trying the OCW test. My plan was to load 3 charges for each powder charge 8(total powder charges) so 24 rounds plus 3 fouling shots makes 27 rounds. That is quite a lot and id think may affect results. I was thinking of doing round robin style and cleaning in between each string with 2-3 foul shots on each string.

So I would shoot 3 foul shots then 1 shot from each load at their own dot of course going from low charge to high charge allowing for 3 min between shots since it is a thin barrel. Then clean barrel. Then 3 foul shots and the next string from high charge to low. Then clean and again 3 foul shots and final string from low charge to high...

Is this a waste of time. Will the results of the OCW test be fine if I just do a round robin style with OUT cleaning? I fiured since I would be letting barrel cool 15 minutes between each string I might as well clean it....does cleaning while hot cause damage? thanks guys...

Shoot 'em all. It is a waste of time, effort and money to clean between each string of shots. I never have, and no problems to date. In addition, are you going to shoot another 3 fouling shots before starting each string? If not, then you've introduced a new variable.

If your rifle completely fouls up in 30 shots you have other issues.

Shoot 'em all. It is a waste of time, effort and money to clean between each string of shots. I never have, and no problems to date. In addition, are you going to shoot another 3 fouling shots before starting each string? If not, then you've introduced a new variable.

If your rifle completely fouls up in 30 shots you have other issues.

ok thanks! I just wasnt sure. I am new to these tests. I know some say the ladder test is better as well and I do have a 300 yard range but for what I am looking for I think the OCW test will suffice. Hoping to get decent readable results to find a stable powder charge range, and then be able to mess with bullet seating depths.

That is another issue I have is my chamber is so long that being .050 off the lands is almost as far as I can go and have sufficient seating depth (.3 inches with a 30 cal bullet) with the current bullet im using. I have heard say you need around 1 caliber deep...so if using a 30cal bullet you shouldnt seat farther out than around .3 inches. I was thinking of doing the test around there but that doesnt leave much room for adjustment so hopefully I find a decent load in the known charge range. Looking for anything under 1MOA. I know the rifle can do it...it does it with factory corelokts.

I have shot 190's out of a gun that was throated out for 210. The bullets weren't in the case much and it still shot well. Matt

good to know...I just heard from someone on here that you would want your hunting bullet to be seated at least 1 caliber deep so for a 7mm rem mag that would be 7mm deep...3006 which is what I have atleast .308 inches deep etc. I think it is more of a guideline to prevent loads from acting wacky due to not enough case to bullet contact/hold but honestly no idea if it is true or not.

Looking for anything under 1MOA. I know the rifle can do it...it does it with factory corelokts.

What bullets are you going to use for your test?

You might want to seat the bullets, measuring to the ogive, the same as the factory ammo that shoots well. Use that as a starting point rather than the lands, and go from there. You can always adjust seating depth later.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.