OCW & Ladder Test?

sharpshooterbr

I am wondering if any of you all can tell me if there are any advantages of using either of these methods if you already have a good shooting load worked up. To clarify this...would it be advised to go back and work up a load using one of these methods even though I already have a good shooting load? From what I have read, the only advantage to either of these methods is to find the sweet spot during a shot cycle. This sweet spot helps just in case your load has a little variance in it.
My thoughts about this are...if I weigh and measure every shell I load, what's the advantage of developing a load this way? Thanks in advance.

I think the idea behind the OCW method is to find a load that will be reasonably well behaved over a wide range of conditions. If your current load does what you want it to, under the conditions you want it done in, then there is no reason to go srewing around with your load.

Rick

Yeah, don't mess with what works for ya.
These methods help people find good loads efficiently. If you change something or if your starting from ground zero they save you some barrel life and aggravation..

My understanding of an OCW load is one that will group moa for 3 rounds at 300yds, when 1 is loaded to the recipe, 1 loaded 1% low & one loaded 1% high. You may find that your load fits this already - my pet 308 load with milsurp powder does - by chance. Although I weigh each charge, it's good to know if I or the scale have a bad day it should still be an OK load. This is all explained much more clearly on Dan Newberry's OCW site.

I'm just happy knowing that the load I settled on would please people who know a lot more about this than I do....
cheers, Mike - edited because I mistyped the url...

If your load works, keep using it.

If you are looking for a new load both will save you a bit of time and barrel wear.

I do an Audette Ladder Test over a chrono to see if the combination of components I'm using shows promise and to find the nodes. Then I go back and do an OCW around the node to fine tune.

If your components work together you will have an accurate load in two trips.

YMMV

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts