Ladder or OCW... what will tell me more?

It's really not about the SD. Yes low SD is nice to have but not really needed to shoot long range. Most importantly is to have bullet release timing right so as to have a self compensating load. It would take a whole article to explain this but there are a lot of write ups on this. Essentially you want your faster bullets coming out of the barrel on a lower barrel position and slower bullets leaving in a higher barrel position. Having barrel timed like this will let slightly faster bullets and lower bullets speeds impact on the same water line. Anyone interested in this can look up Alex Wheeler he has written about it extensively. Positive compensation is real and even a load with a mid 20 SD can still put them on the same waterline at 1000 yards. I know this is a long range hunting site but by using methods of the best shooters in the world can only help in your long range efforts on game.
Shep

The two processes in question lead to different things.
OCW is for a tolerant load. Ladder is for an accurate load.

Assuming you won't be lucky as hell, which is your priority?
Also, you didn't mention seating. Have you fully tested for best coarse seating yet?
Dumb question here... what is OCW. Thank you in advance

[/QUOTE]What are your thoughts?[/QUOTE]
You'll learn the most from shooting an Audette test. Shooting it at 300 yds over a chrony, you'll get to see where it all comes together. If you don't see a group develop with this method, chances are good that powder and bullet combination are not going to play well together.

A ladder test at a minimum of 400 but preferably 450+.
I load in .3gr increments and usually 3-4 shots group together.

Just read that entire thread on accurate shooter. Erik Cortina seems very confident that you can find a good long range load from a 100 yard range. Might give it a try.

I was referring to a Satterlee method "ladder," where you find your node based on velocity flat spots. I've never had as much luck with a traditional Dan Newberry OCW which is akin to the Audette method, which is the ladder you must have been referring to, I don't have the range access for the Audette method. I have mentally blurred the two over the years.

I have tried an Optimal barrel time method and have had good luck with that using quick load. Frequently, the nodes from the Satterlee method come in near an OBT point. However, it isn't necessary an OBT point for the exact barrel length, ie 26 or 28 (being 26 with 2 for a brake). Also, if I get velocity flat from the Satterlee method, that isn't near an OBT node, it usually won't give as good or as consistent of results as one that is near an OBT point

What has kept me from getting a Labradar, has been the folks I've seen at the range with them, and their consistent complaint of picking up other shots. I'm glad to hear there is a way to tune that out. When my magneto speed gives out, I will definitely look at getting one.
Labradar can be adjusted so it won't pick up other shots, easily done, they just don't know their equipment.

OP: I have done extensive reloading and the quickest easiest way to get an accurate load is the OCW. You then move out to 200 and 30p to continue the OCW test. It will account for different barrel temps, ladder test will not. I learned this the hard way with some 6.5 SAUM loads using the ladder method. When the weather got above 80 I couldn't use my loads. I spoke to Dan Newberry and the guy who developed the OBT, and got some great pointers. Then the owner of QL chimed in and now I'm able to develop loads rather quickly. 2 to 3 quick range trips is all I need and it takes about 25 rounds

Many very accurate long range rifles have had best loads built with the original creighton audette method (ladder test). Don't feel pressured to use a chrono.
Flame suit on!

Labradar can be adjusted so it won't pick up other shots, easily done, they just don't know their equipment.

OP: I have done extensive reloading and the quickest easiest way to get an accurate load is the OCW. You then move out to 200 and 30p to continue the OCW test. It will account for different barrel temps, ladder test will not. I learned this the hard way with some 6.5 SAUM loads using the ladder method. When the weather got above 80 I couldn't use my loads. I spoke to Dan Newberry and the guy who developed the OBT, and got some great pointers. Then the owner of QL chimed in and now I'm able to develop loads rather quickly. 2 to 3 quick range trips is all I need and it takes about 25 rounds
Op, I have also done extensive ..... and the quickest easiest method is the creighton audette ladder :) sorry. Can't help myself

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.