La Rue quick detach mounts for extreme long range shooting?

Blbrand

Has anyone had any experience using the La Rue scope mounts for long range shooting (i.e. 1000 yards)? I am less concerned with its ability to repeat zero after being removed and reattached. What I really am wondering is whether these mount, once attached and zeroed, would be solid enough to be acceptable for precision long range shooting.

Any thoughts or experience would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Unless you already have the mount I would say don't risk it and get some good quality rings. Eliminates one potential variable from the equation. Just my 2 cents.

Unless you already have the mount I would say don't risk it and get some good quality rings. Eliminates one potential variable from the equation. Just my 2 cents.

I agree. I really don't see the advantage unless you are constantly removing and resetting them. If you need to remove the scope, leave the rings on the scope and unscrew the rings from the base.

If you're looking to shoot long range with an AR platform, you'll definitely want a cantilever style mount to keep all the mounting hardware on the upper receiver and avoid having one ring on the receiver and the other on the handguard. I'm personally not a huge fan of the LaRue mounts because I've seen them fail and I honestly think there's better options for the money. I've also heard they're notorious for marring the rail on the upper receiver. Check out the Bobro Engineering mounts. Get one with 20MOA built in, and you'll be set.

If it's going on a bolt gun, get a good 1-piece 20MOA Picatinny rail, and a set of quality rings.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.