Best Quick Detach scope mount

Browning300

So I would like some feedback on quick detach scope mounts.
I have two rifles a biggame rifle (300win.) a coyote rifle (6x284) and a limited budget. The 300win. only gets used during elk season and the 6x284 the rest of the year. I know that QDmount is probably not good for ELR but I would typically only shoot out to 6-700yds.
So my idea is to buy one scope and move it back and forth as needed.
This is where a quality mount comes in. I'm hoping that the rezero would be repeatable so that it would always be let's say, 5.5moa down and 3.25moa left then just one shot to confirm. Then just reverse that when going back. A simple procedure that could be done in seconds. If it would work then just keep adding rifles and documenting the necessary adjustments to bring it to zero
Maybe my question is, is that kind of repeatability possible?
Have any of y'all tried this? Used QD scope mounts? Which one is the best?

Last edited:
I agree, a rail on each with quality tactical rings with the 1/2nut on the side. I have the mark 4 aluminum rings and they would work well for you

Ya I understand I'll need to re zero. But maybe this is where a quality mount comes in. I'm hoping that the rezero would be repeatable so that it would always be let's say, 5.5moa down and 3.25moa left then just one shot or one group to confirm. Then just reverse that when going back.
Ok edited my original question to hopefully make it more clear exactly what I'm trying to do.

Last edited:
Put picatinny rails on both rifles and a good set of rings with the 1/2 inch nut on the side, on your scope, and you can exchange scopes at will.
I have done this. While I will always confirm my zero, I can keep point if impact within .5MOA with scope changes. It's important to use a quality torque wrench(Like the Nightforce to maintain consistency.
E97A46BE-375A-40C5-A972-C9325AA778B3.jpeg

That is the question, easily done with something like Leupold QRW rings & decent rails on the rifles but to what degree it is repeatable reliable is hard to tell until you do it.

I have similar set ups but never have needed to swap them over as I have a scope for each rifle but I did want to play with this just to see the outcome.
Haven't gotten around to test it yet!

I assume you are talking picatinny rail system. ?? The rings are attached to the scope, that never changes, just understand all picatinny rails are not the same. Even the same brand on Rem 700's may not be that close.
Even integral rails machined into diff brands of actions may not be close. As mentioned, be prepared to rezero each swap.
Edit: I like ARC, or NF ultra lite rings for pic rails, never have either marred a scope.

I've used a couple different sets of Warne Maxima QD mounts, and they seem to come back to within half MOA if you remount them carefully. I have a "pass around" scope, which usually goes back and forth between a couple ARs, and I can usually re-zero with 3-5 shots. The offset between the rifles is a lot more than you'd think, but as you suggested, once you know what it is, it doesn't change much when switching.

LaRue Quick Detach, appropriately tightened (they should be a bear to loosen by hand), work well for me. I swap out a Night Force ATACR 4x16 between my DT MDR and my wife's Weatherby Camilla. Biggest issue is that I put a 20 MOA rail on hers so the zero is about 8 mils off when changing.

I use the same on a BEAST on my DT SRS-A1 to swap to a LWRC REPR. There is a level issue between those two, but I don't shoot the REPR much anymore.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts