Kowa vs Maven

I recently bought the Kowa 773 in the aforementioned sale from Camera Land with the TE-11WZ eye piece (25-60x) for $1899. I would say its a phenomenal choice and I chose it over the Maven in my own research for a couple of reasons.

Firstly price was right with the sale, and if you contact Doug and tell him you are from the forum you may be able to get a similar deal.

Optical clarity on the Kowas always seems to be neck and neck with Swarovski, especially in the models featuring a Fluorite lens which the 77mm models unfortunately do not have. That being said mine is still excellent.

Also with the TE-11WZ eye piece you are getting an extra 10x over the Maven. If I am carrying or using a spotting scope for any purpose I want to get the most benefit from it OVER the rifle scope that I am using. With rifle scopes getting up to 36x or 40x for long range shooting becoming more popular/common, higher magnification out of the spotter to pick up where the rifle scope leaves off was something that interested me.

Objective lens is a tiny bit smaller but you also shave off a few ounces.

This comparison is a few years old, but they do look at a lot of spotting scopes on the market and placed the Kowa over the Maven.

https://backwoodspursuit.com/best-spotting-scope-for-hunting/

I recently bought the Kowa 773 in the aforementioned sale from Camera Land with the TE-11WZ eye piece (25-60x) for $1899. I would say its a phenomenal choice and I chose it over the Maven in my own research for a couple of reasons.

Firstly price was right with the sale, and if you contact Doug and tell him you are from the forum you may be able to get a similar deal.

Optical clarity on the Kowas always seems to be neck and neck with Swarovski, especially in the models featuring a Fluorite lens which the 77mm models unfortunately do not have. That being said mine is still excellent.

Also with the TE-11WZ eye piece you are getting an extra 10x over the Maven. If I am carrying or using a spotting scope for any purpose I want to get the most benefit from it OVER the rifle scope that I am using. With rifle scopes getting up to 36x or 40x for long range shooting becoming more popular/common, higher magnification out of the spotter to pick up where the rifle scope leaves off was something that interested me.

Objective lens is a tiny bit smaller but you also shave off a few ounces.

This comparison is a few years old, but they do look at a lot of spotting scopes on the market and placed the Kowa over the Maven.

https://backwoodspursuit.com/best-spotting-scope-for-hunting/
I got mine from Doug also. Great deal, no tax and free shipping. 553 with the Flourite Crystal glass

Last edited:
Had on loved it ,but lost my antelope spot.had the runt to, packed good, but really to small.wiggled easy glassing and not much better than my Leupold 15-45x60 ,about par at dusk.Still have a 30W for it.

I have a kowa 664m and with the 30x wide angle eyepiece it's impressive, frankly it's just as good as my buddies non hd Swarovski. If I just hunted elk I don't think I would upgradea, but I have a sheep hunt next year that I'd probably want more magnification on.

I have a kowa 664m and with the 30x wide angle eyepiece it's impressive, frankly it's just as good as my buddies non hd Swarovski. If I just hunted elk I don't think I would upgradea, but I have a sheep hunt next year that I'd probably want more magnification on.
I concur, my 664 Prominar is about as close as you can get to the Swaro non-HD's we use at work. I use the Kowa 20-60 eye piece, they are about $375 if you wanted to save some money and use what you got. I wouldn't feel under glasses for about any hunt with the 664 Kowa. Only thing I'd change is I bought a straight instead of the angled due to how it fits in my pack.

I concur, my 664 Prominar is about as close as you can get to the Swaro non-HD's we use at work. I use the Kowa 20-60 eye piece, they are about $375 if you wanted to save some money and use what you got. I wouldn't feel under glasses for about any hunt with the 664 Kowa. Only thing I'd change is I bought a straight instead of the angled due to how it fits in my pack.

Oh I have the variable 20-60x eyepiece as well. Just kinda wanted as good as I could get. Also thinking about the 88s or the new 66s.

Last edited by a moderator:
I narrowed my choice down to the 774 and Maven this year when I drew a sheep tag. Big maven fan, have several pairs of their binos, grew up in lander and know a lot of the folks there. I ended up buying the Kowa and love it

Well I just compared the ol kowa 664m against a swaro sts 65mm HD 20-60. Couldn't find any difference with the 20-60x eyepiece and honestly the 30x wa eyepiece the view was just a tad better.

So I think I'll just upgrade binoculars.

A couple of nice pair of Swaro 15x56 HDs in the Classifieds now. Not sure what size you're looking for but just a fyi.

I was told on Monday that Kowa also had a 10% Retail price increase on 08/01.

A couple of nice pair of Swaro 15x56 HDs in the Classifieds now. Not sure what size you're looking for but just a fyi.

I was told on Monday that Kowa also had a 10% Retail price increase on 08/01.

I considered holding out for some swaro el's, but based off of how impressed I am with Kowa, I'm taking a chance on the Kowa Genesis 10.5x44. I am very interested to see how their binoculars perform.

I considered holding out for some swaro el's, but based off of how impressed I am with Kowa, I'm taking a chance on the Kowa Genesis 10.5x44. I am very interested to see how their binoculars perform.
My TSN553 arrives today. I've got a friends rifle Coues Deer hunt starting the end of August through mid September and hope to put it to work soon.