Knowing what you know now, which cartridge?

Which pre 1980's cartridge for long range hunting.

• 264 win mag

Votes: 60 23.5%
  • 7mm rem mag

Votes: 112 43.9%
  • 280 Remington

Votes: 30 11.8%
  • 300 win mag

Votes: 107 42.0%
  • 25-06

Votes: 15 5.9%
  • 257 weatherby

Votes: 17 6.7%
  • 270 win

Votes: 17 6.7%
  • 7mm weatherby

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • 300 weatherby

Votes: 40 15.7%
  • Other pre 1980s 6.5 cartridges, Swiss, Jap,etc..

Votes: 12 4.7%

• Total voters
This poll is automatically invalid because the 30-06 isn't included.

I have a subjective bias against anything 7mm or 270, because almost every douche I ever ran into at the range or the gun counter had one.

The 7mm Rem and the 270 Win were the 6.5 Creed of their day.

7mm rem mag for me. Has a good powder volume for the bore size and the new 7mm bullets out there right now allow you to pretty much run with the 30s in drop and wind drift but with less recoil. New powders can get some great velocities from it. Alot of people like to hate on 7mms but for me personally if I could only have one that would be it

I have a subjective bias against anything 7mm or 270, because almost every douche I ever ran into at the range or the gun counter had one.

You're experience is different than mine, but i guess it all depends on your definition of a "D****e." To me that's the guy at the range who walked out of Cabela's 30 mins ago with his new "sniper rifle." Previously chambered in .223 rem, .308 Win, or .300 WM but now chambered for .224 Valkyrie or 6.5 CM, these guys always are wondering why the "bullets," with a head stamp that reads differently than the side of the barrel, aren't working in his new gun. Not once has this person had a 270 or 7mm RM in my experience. Prolly cuz those aren't "sniper" cartridges. Sorry for derailing....let's get back on track.

You're experience is different than mine, but i guess it all depends on your definition of a "D****e." To me that's the guy at the range who walked out of Cabela's 30 mins ago with his new "sniper rifle." Previously chambered in .223 rem, .308 Win, or .300 WM but now chambered for .224 Valkyrie or 6.5 CM, these guys always are wondering why the "bullets," with a head stamp that reads differently than the side of the barrel, aren't working in his new gun. Not once has this person had a 270 or 7mm RM in my experience. Prolly cuz those aren't "sniper" cartridges. Sorry for derailing....let's get back on track.

I too took some offense to the comment about being a douche because of owning a .270. I own three .270s and I definitely am not a douche at the range or at the store. I usually will get my butt busted because I bring too many tools to the range; however, I am the first person who will either get referred to borrow tools, or will have someone ask me if I torxe or allen wrench or particular screwdriver. But.......some things you just have to let go. Glad that you posted this, thought that it might be me taking offense. Thank you

I didn't see an option for, "why use 80's technology when you can use 2020?"

it was right by the "spend lots more money for minimal gains" option

I voted for the 264 WM

what's funny is the dimensions of the brass is the only part of the component that's not new tech. The composition of the brass is modern, the primers are same as you use on any short mag/newer (aka better cartridge). The same with powder and projectiles. For all that and only adding (or giving up) 100-200 FPS is kinda a wash once you factor in the difference in cost.

Just bought 264 WM brass at $1.15 ea. (50 pieces) it was Hornadys top shelf stuff.

It's been a few years but I bought 6.5 Saum brass at $2.80 ea. (200 pieces) also Hornady but definitely not top shelf.

These cartridges have almost identical performance so where is the gain? No belt? Shorter bolt throw? More efficient burn column? These are real factors but very tiny factors that don't necessarily add up to the difference in cost.

I like new. I like old. I like stuff that works. It's hard to advocate the new if the old does its job especially if you have to pay double, triple or more for marginal improvements.

Dismissing something older because of marketing or getting caught up in "paper ballistics" is a great way to part with your money

Last edited:
I chose on the basis of white tail deer mainly with the possibility of a black bear as my big game. Then coyotes down to ground hogs as varmints of where I have done all my hunting over the past 50 some years which is east of the Mississippi. For bear or deer flip a coin of either the 264 Win mag or 25-06. If the range was to be over 500 yards then the 264 Win mag would be my choice. Either will do for varmints because I don't keep fur. I like to see the pieces scatter on impact. 😁

I also am one that came to despise the 7mm Rem mag. I got one to use for deer hunting over the bean fields of east NC. Gave it a good chance for two years trying different bullets and loads and came to the conclusion that I could not carry enough flashlight batteries to hunt with it. Most of my hunting was done a couple hours before dark in the evenings. Unless I hit the CNS deer would run off a ways usually out of the field. If deer got out of the field it was swamp and thick green briar that you would have a hard time following a chalk line through much less trying to find a blood trail. Crawling around in this stuff in the dark with cotton mouths is not my idea of fun. Went to the 25-06 and 264 Win mag and 99% of the time it became BANG FLOP.

Last edited:
I 've shot all on the list and only one I didn't hunt with was 25-06. The only one on list I still hunt with is Lilja barrel 270. 80's I necked up 7mag to 30cal for 30-338mag and I still hunt with 30-338mag. I really didn't shoot 280 but did 7mm Express and I have 270Wby.

When we moved to Co 1977, my first bull elk was taken with 7mag and used 270 for buck tag.

If you really wanted cutting edge cartridge technology you would probably go straight to one of the Sherman series cartridges. The thread was not to say that pre 80s technology was better than what we have today or to start the likes of a war over the topic but more or less , to reflect on what cartridges were possiblity over looked in their time and more appreciated in today's times. I'm all for new technology. What would a fellow rather have, a new sports car off of the lot or a 1960's muscle car. Different strokes for different folks.
I'd like to see some Real data to support this statement. This forum often serves as free advertising for the Shermans, scarcely a thread goes by and someone is not tooting for them- (nauseating). You don't hear about them in Competition and you don't read about the Military seeking them either, just on these forums. I'd also like to add folks have been Wildcatting as long as we've had Guns. Wildcat Cartridges like the 240 Cobra were touted as amazing and magical and finally everyone realized after the advent of the .243 the Superhuman Velocities the Cobra were only obtainable at Ludicrous pressures. We all know about straighter Wall cases and various increased Shoulder Angles, that's not "cutting edge", it's actually "old hat". I've visited the website and prices seem friendly I'd like to add, and it's a definite plus to offer sell brass.

I'd like to see some Real data to support this statement. This forum often serves as free advertising for the Shermans, scarcely a thread goes by and someone is not tooting for them- (nauseating). You don't hear about them in Competition and you don't read about the Military seeking them either, just on these forums. I'd also like to add folks have been Wildcatting as long as we've had Guns. Wildcat Cartridges like the 240 Cobra were touted as amazing and magical and finally everyone realized after the advent of the .243 the Superhuman Velocities the Cobra were only obtainable at Ludicrous pressures. We all know about straighter Wall cases and various increased Shoulder Angles, that's not "cutting edge", it's actually "old hat". I've visited the website and prices seem friendly I'd like to add, and it's a definite plus to offer sell brass.

What current cartridges would you say is cutting edge?

If you have put the time and effort into developing a series of cartridges designed around modern long range bullets, I would love to hear about it.

Last edited:
It's not just the Sherman series of cartridges that everyone toots about, it's basically everyone tooting about what cartridge/cartridges they like. Whether it be a prc, nosler, win mag, rem mag, weatherby or a Sherman.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.