Kirby, would you share some knowledge?

youarenotcrazy

While I was backreading on bedding, I noticed you mentioned "free-floating the tang on Savages". Since I'm about to embark on bedding a savage (virgin bedder)with Marine-tex and I consider your posts my Obi Wan Jedi lessons....exactly what do I do to free-float the tang? How much of the tang do I float? Any info you (or anyone who knows secrets about bedding savages) would be willing to share would be awesome, thank you much

First off, are you skim bedding or pillar bedding the rifle? Let me know which bedding technique your using and we can go from there.

Basically, the tang should be floated from the rear receiver screw back. Let me say that different, the receiver should be bedded back to the rear receiver screw and everything around the trigger mechanism should be floated.

I have also found floating the barrel lock nut has increased consistancy as well. That is easy to do, apply a couple layers of electical tape wide enough to cover the length of the barrel lock nut. This will give you clearance when the bedding sets up. Check to make sure there is enough room so the tape does not bind up on the stock though.

Let me know what kind of bedding you are doing and I will get you some more information, maybe pics if I can round some up.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Yes, Just keep the rear tang floated and I generally recommend floating the barrel lock nut as well already discribed.

Good luck, let us know how it turns out. If you have any questions feel free to ask we will walk you though it. Important thing is to ask before you bed!!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.