Kimber Montana 300 WSM

elkman1

What is the current status of the Kimber Montana 300 wsm accuracy and quality ?

I have heard it can be hit and miss.

Well my K M is not a 300wsm it is a 280 AI ,and its a one hole wonder with 168 GR VLD bullets , but I did have some bedding ,and trigger work done as well, along with feed ramp polishing ,this was all done before I fired the first shot.

Mine's not a Montana or a 300WSM, but it's a 8400 Select in 300WM.
It is very accurate although I did have to finish polish the chamber myself, there were a few marks that needed attention. I must say the accuracy is better than I expected in regard to the chamber problem and the very skinny lightweight barrel they come with, very impressed actually.

Cheers.
gun)

I have a 270 WSM Montana. Purchased when they first came out. I was able to get it to shoot 1.5MOA after bedding, lapping, and tons of load work. I found that the barrel diameter was inconsistent. It mostly sits in the safe for the past 6 years but I recently decided to have a new barrel put on it and try it again. I do like the weight and the action now that the feed ramps have been polished.

I just picked up a Kimber Montana 300 WSM and mounted a 3-9x40 Leupold VX-1 on it. I was able to easily shoot 1/2" groups at a 100 yds with it with some Nosler Trophy 180 gr Accubonds.This is going to be my go to elk rifle this year and I will eventually upgrade the scope to a VX-3. I just did not have the time to reload for this rifle as I do with my Tikka 300 wsm. The fit and finish was excellent on this rifle. I removed it from the stock and went through it and re-torqued the stock to action screws to 65 in lbs. I also picked up a 270 WSM stainless select 8400 that has excellent fit and finish. This will be a gun safe Queen (just to pretty to use for now). I was apprehensive on making the purchase from bad reviews I read from the past. I'am extremely happy with these two rifles that I also put a Montana 280 AI on layaway that the wife will use for elk and muley's. Kimbers QC seams to be spot on with these rifles.

I have experience with 2 Kimber products, a 1911 and a Montana 270 WSM. The 1911 had feeding problems which Kimber refused to fix, stating that it was within their specs. It got sold. The Montana had a galled chamber and was getting stuck cases every shot as a result. It was also returned to Kimber and again they refused to fix it, saying it shot just fine. The Montana did shoot well, but having to throw away all the brass and use a 2x4 to open the bolt every time was not very impressive. Still trying to figure out what to do with it. If you get a gun that's not defective it will probably shoot well, just don't count on the manufacturer to stand behind it if there's a problem.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.