Thoughts on Kimber Montana in 300 WSM

sinwagon71

I am looking at purchasing a Kimber Montana in 300 WSM to hunt mainly in North Georgia hopefully can make it out west a little too for bigger game too. I would like to get some honest opinions from owners or regular shooters of this gun on what its good and bad points are.
Thanks
Ken

I have a Sako M85 Finnlight 300 WSM and I think it's a great cartridge that performs very close to the 300 WM and kicks about the same as a 7mm RM. My rifle isn't shooting well, about 2 - 4 MOA and I'm not sure if it's the rifle or the Optilock rings. It's being evaluated at the factory. I have shot 3 antelope and 1 cow elk with it this fall and the cartridge did very well. If you're going with a 300 WSM, it would be a good idea to load your own ammo because the factory suff is spendy. I can drive handload 180 gr E-tips @ about 3020 fps and the factory 180 gr Accubonds @ about 3000 fps.

As for the Kinber Montana... I've heard mixed reviews on them and I'll let the owners offer their opinion. If you check the "similar threads" at the bottom of the page, you'll find some more info.

Good shooting

Last edited:
I have been hunting Georgia for 11 years in lee/worth county. Seems to be a heavy load for Georgia. I use a .243 in ga, then use a larger caliber for up north. Although since you mentioned going out west, maybe you will need it someday. good hunting!

I am just really looking for a good round that is capable of being used anywhere. I know it is a little big for whitetail but where I hunt a lot I can be making a 350 to 400 yard shot. I also use a 35 rem and a 30-06. I really like the ballistics on a 300wsm and I know the ammo is pricy but it is all getting pricy I just got rid of a 7mm rem mag and the cheapest factory ammo was $27 for 20 rounds. I have also heard good and bad on the Kimber's but I am not looking for a bench target rifle that weighs a ton I want a reliable gun that is not unbearable to carry all day and can take some abuse one reason I like the Kimber is the Kevlar/carbon fiber stocks very durable I also own a Kimber 1911 and I love that gun it is well built and has never given me an issue and has had a lot of rounds down the pipe and still dead on.
Thank you
For the Replies

man, I have killed a lot of deer with my old 35 rem. Ya, the short mag definitly would do the job anywhere in north america. I have the kimber aegis handguns, but never owned there rifle. If there rifle is as great as my kimber handgun, its going to be an awesome rifle.

Yea I love my old 35 I just put one of those cabella's scope made to use with the Hornady lever revolution ammo on it need to see if it will shoot as far as they say it will now.

I have one in .308 and love it. The rifle shoots great and is a joy to carry. It is my go to rifle most days of the week during deer season. I can't comment on the .300 WSM, but I'm sure you can find lots of people on a couple of forums who swear by the .7WSM :)

Chris

G'day,

I own a Kimber Montana 300WSM with a Swarovski Z6i 1.7-10x42 on it. Pleasure to lug around all day hardly notice its there. Accuracy is outstanding for an out of the box rifle. Feed my Barnes TTSX 168gr hits deer like they have been struck by lightning

Four years ago, I bought a new .308 Kimber Model 84 (not Montana) and it has been returned to Younkers three times for repair. First, one of the pillars was not at a 90 degree angle; then a burr was found in the bore near muzzle. They replaced barrel and stock. Then with rounds in the magazine, the floorplate would drop open and shells spill on ground with first shot. They fixed that, dunno how. Now have about 200 rounds thru it and it coppers up badly. I like the feel of this light little rifle, so still have it. The walnut stock is beautifully figured. But. . .would I buy another? NO WAY

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.