Kimber montana 300 prc build

Weatherby Fan

As I patiently wait for my #4 Fluted Benchmark Barrel to arrive for my original Stiller action 300 PRC Build, my gunsmith suggested we build a 300 PRC on a Kimber Montana 8400 I had collecting dust, my first question was can you extend the mag box ? yeh no problem he says !

Kimber Montana 8400 action trued and squared, mag box extended to 3.730" Carbon Fibre Bolt Handle
26" Hells Canyon Carbon Fibre Barrel, 1-9.5 twist, Brake added
High Comb and Palm Swell added to the Montana Stock
Graphite Gunkote on all metal surfaces and green paint with multi coloured speckle on the stock
Low Talleys and Zeiss V4 4-16x44 scope

Off to the range this morning to test this gem out.

Last edited:
Well Weatherby again another jaw dropping out fit. So my next question is are you ready to sell it to or just put me onto your smith so he can build me one.

Well I wouldn't mind shooting it first....I got to the rifle range Tuesday morning only to find it closed for the week as they're replacing the roof....long overdue !

So I haven't got to shoot it yet, loaded up some 210 VLDs and 230 ScenarL with R26 so Ill see how they perform as well as both factory offerings.

Gunsmith is Gary Flach in Langley, B.C. Canada

Well I wouldn't mind shooting it first....I got to the rifle range Tuesday morning only to find it closed for the week as they're replacing the roof....long overdue !

So I haven't got to shoot it yet, loaded up some 210 VLDs and 230 ScenarL with R26 so Ill see how they perform as well as both factory offerings

Did you or can anyone tell me how much jump you had into those bullets to the lands from the mag box of 3.7 oal.
I've been told that the jump is excess with the factory Sami 300 prc reamer. Im currently having a reamer made from JGS for 190 accubond. Maybe 210. I want to ensure that the load to say oal is 3.65 or so ——that would give me the 30 th clearance that is needed in the mag box to provide good feed from the mag and that the loading to the lands is achieved.

Oh
Action is order is a defiance deviant with control round push feed. Thinking manners stock. This is a one time build that is going to put me into retirement. Bucket list gun. Doing a lot or research now. Making for shooting meat then paper.

Thanks

Last edited:
Any report? Mine hates both factory ammos and will not shoot 215 Bergers no matter what I do. I have never not been able to get a Berger to shoot. Moving on to 225s, 212s, and 208s.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.