Kids 22 options

I have a 5 year old for reference. Bolt action I'd recommend the Savage rascal. Mine can operate it without help. I wish the safety was easier to take off safe. Going from fire to safe is easy.

Semi-auto Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22. He has shot the rifle version with flip up sights, and the pistol version with a red dot. Only using one round at a time in the shorter 10 round mags. Using CCI Quiets so they won't cycle anyway. He can load, chamber and shoot by himself, with verbal instructions but he's getting better. He is more accurate with these than the Rascal.

I snagged a Tikka T1X stock cheap the other day, plan on cutting it down shorter to fit him to practice when he gets a little bigger.

Another single shot rifle for a youth is the Savage Model 30. Bought one for my grandson to get him started.
Savage Model 30 22LR - 2.JPGSavage Model 30 22LR -1.JPG
jerimy8.JPG

Last edited:
Another single shot rifle for a youth is the Savage Model 30. Bought one for my grandson to get him started.
View attachment 390668View attachment 390669
This looks similar to a Stevens Crackshot that a couple of my kids and nephews learned on. I like the idea of single shot for learning. My older kids learned on a Winchester model "55" single shot .22