Kids 22 options

hesse

Looking for recommendations For starting the grand kids shooting they are 5 to 7 years of age my only required for feature is manual safety to teach them proper safe handling of the rifle. Thanks for any help . The 10/22 will be later down the road I want something that fits them proper . Will start on bags then go to freehand. So weight is something I am also concerned about. I do think it will be wood stocked

Last edited:
Ruger 10/22. I have one that I got in the late 70's and I bought one for my daughter in the early 90's. Who knows how may 10,000's of rounds have been through them:)

Second the 10/22! One of my girls will have that and the other has a little Henry lever action. So many great options out there for starting out. I recommend staying away from the crickets and anything newer Savage though!

Cz. 457. One of the last decent 22's still has metal not plastic. There is a reason many shooting classes for youth use this gun, it lasts, simple, and accurate. Also dual extractors which helps with todays junky ammo. There are many 457 models. The "scout" is good for small shooters.
I'm not a fan of a 5-7old starting with a semi.

Attachments

• 3825F106-EDB7-48D1-9E67-5D5342A52C63.jpeg
    3825F106-EDB7-48D1-9E67-5D5342A52C63.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 18
  • 55C6D395-BD08-4148-9F72-8596E45B3296.jpeg
    55C6D395-BD08-4148-9F72-8596E45B3296.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 19
  • 510355CB-BD30-491D-A336-0272ABFFEAC6.png
    510355CB-BD30-491D-A336-0272ABFFEAC6.png
    39.2 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
I was taught how to shoot on a single shot long barreled .22 (Remington targetmaster) that my father purchased in the 1940's. It was a great gun, but probably too hard to find. I asked my dad about gething a different gun (semi auto) and he said that I should learn how to shoot by taking a lot of time when preparing for a shot, and not counting on pulling the trigger again. Aim and squeeze. lots of practice to build muscle memory.
1. Single Shot Bolt Action"
2. Open sights
3. Long barrel
It doesnn't matter so much which model or manufactured, but these criteria are the ones that I would urge for getting your grandsons started.

If you want it to fit them, check out the Savage Rascal......they are surprisingly accurate as well. I like them because they fit, are light and have open sights so off hand shooting can be learned as well as none scope shooting. I told my 7 yrs old son I wouldn't put a scope on it until he hit a 45 acp case open sights at about 12', one hour later he was doing it regularly. They have a safety and a accutrigger for about $150.00.

I had To chime in again. The OP is talking about for real young kids(5-7). Kids not strong enough to even rack a bolt or any lever little loan some safeties by themselves. I have found with younger kids getting them shooting is actually safer and easier using a 10/22 platform. Think about it. Having a young kid struggle to work a bolt and banging the gun around where you will be needing to assist anyways, or you loading them up, and teaching them safety with you sitting right beside them allowing them to shoot A string of 5-10 and concentrate on shooting, trigger control, and sight acquisition with a semi auto. I used to think I wanted my girls, nephews, and any other youngster to learn to work a bolt and shoot at an early age. Well a lot got frustrated and lost interest till they where older and could work the gun themselves(10+/-). There are younger ones thet can handle a bolt gun but most can not. It comes down to if you are there and working with them they just want to shoot at that age and the shooting won't last long. Just make it fun for them and keep working with them as they grow. They will stay way more interested. I also agree that I love the hell out of all my CZs and older marlin bolt guns and now the girls 9 and 10 do as well. Have a cricket and the girls hated it and anyone that i have loaned it to has also hated it. Every one of those kids lit up when their dads sat beside them with the 10/22 though🤣😂

Last edited:
I had To chime in again. The OP is talking about for real young kids(5-7). Kids not strong enough to even rack a bolt or any lever little loan some safeties by themselves. I have found with younger kids getting them shooting is actually safer and easier using a 10/22 platform. Think about it. Having a young kid struggle to work a bolt and banging the gun around where you will be needing to assist anyways, or you loading them up, and teaching them safety with you sitting right beside them allowing them to shoot A string of 5-10 and concentrate on shooting, trigger control, and sight acquisition with a semi auto. I used to think I wanted my girls, nephews, and any other youngster to learn to work a bolt and shoot at an early age. Well a lot got frustrated and lost interest till they where older and could work the gun themselves(10+/-). There are younger ones thet can handle a bolt gun but most can not. It comes down to if you are there and working with them they just want to shoot at that age and the shooting won't last long. Just make it fun for them and keep working with them as they grow. They will stay way more interested. I also agree that I love the hell out of all my CZs and older marlin bolt guns and now the girls 9 and 10 do as well. Have a cricket and the girls hated it and anyone that i have loaned it to has also hated it. Every one of those kids lit up when their dads sat beside them with the 10/22 though🤣😂
To each their own.
There is a reason most all beginner shooting, training facilities, dwr, hunter safety, youth groups use bolt actions. Safety. Simplicity. Kids struggle to work a bolt? Lol. How about kids shooting 3 rounds then swing the rifle around to show dad the target not realizing there is already a fourth in chamber? My kids ran a nerf bolt gun at 3-4 old better than adults can run a rifle in PRS. 😉

To each their own.
There is a reason most all beginner shooting, training facilities, dwr, hunter safety, youth groups use bolt actions. Safety. Simplicity. Kids struggle to work a bolt? Lol. How about kids shooting 3 rounds then swing the rifle around to show dad the target not realizing there is already a fourth in chamber? My kids ran a nerf bolt gun at 3-4 old better than adults can run a rifle in PRS. 😉
Yup. To each their own. When a RESPONSIBLE adult is shooting with a kid they should be smart enough to stay close to said kid. You are right about youth groups and Hunter safety using bolt guns as those are older kids that are supposed to be learning this. Again We are talking about getting real young kids involved where the guardian should be with them like white on rice shooting anyways. I am glad your kids where able to operate a toy gun at such an early age😉, some adults can't figure those toys out. I all comes down to do what is within your comfort limit. If you feel you arent qualified enough or the child isn't ready you make the call and do what you think you and the child can handle.