Shooting Games for Kids

trebark

I've got a niece that loves to shoot my 22lr. She's very accurate with it. She has even advanced enough that she dials the scope up and down as the range to the target changes.

I want to keep her interested, so I'm wondering if anybody has any rifle shooting games that a kid might like to play. Are there targets with some sort of game printed on them? do you do something interesting with your kids that keeps them entertained? One thing that I do is glue paint balls to a target. When hit by a 22 they blow up! I buy the pink ones for my niece - girls love the pink splat!

Would love to hear your ideas! Thanks

I made a H shaped steel stainding fram and took bowling pins and drilled a hole and made them where the will flip around for my 9 year old to shoot at. I also have used bollons.

I usually have my son shoot clay pigeons and eggs. At 130yds he hits eggs pretty consistantly with a 22lr! I will also find shotgun shells left on the ground and he can smack those with excellent consistancy as well (80yds) It's tough to get kids to shoot well on paper because all they care about is hitting the paper. If you tape a penny to the target their accuracy can be impressive. I can't wait untill he can adjust the turrets himself. When my 243 build is done I hope he can shoot eggs with me at 500yds. Here's a couple pics.

He really concentrates and loves to watch those eggs explode
002-3.jpg

Here's a shot gun shell that he hit three times with four shots from 80yds.
017-1.jpg

landcbeitner:
thanks for the tips. I'm beginning to see a theme - that kids like shooting stuff that explodes.

The rifle I have right now is a Marlin model 60 semi-auto. It's pretty accurate, but it jams from time to time and that's rather frustrating to a kid. I'd like to change over to a bolt gun. What brand/model is the rifle in the pic?

thanks

Try animal crackers as well- you can tell a hunting story at the same time, and no tracking required even if the shot is a bit off...

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.