Kestrel 5700 w/ LiNK (not Elite) -- Any reviews/advice?

Brydawg512

Hello all,

I'm taking a look at the Kestrel meters, this would be my first ballistic weather station. I am looking at the 5700 model, but not the Elite, so it doesn't have Applied Ballistics, just some other software.

I am wanting to use this primarily for hunting purposes (within 600 yards), however, practice on steel out to about 1,000 would be a plus.

Is the non-elite 5700 model okay for what I need? Is the ballistic software on this model suitable for my needs? Any other recommendations/advice would be much appreciated!

EDIT: Also, does this system already determine altitude density and adjust for this? In other words, will the system (once I set my baseline: BC, velocity, etc) automatically output correct drop data when I switch environments with different altitude, temp., etc.?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
I just bought a kestrel sportsman. Ive been comparing it to the AB app on my phone that is trued to 1910yds (the farthest ove shot to date) and it matches correctly. I wasnt interested in the extra cost of the elite version at all and the sportsman still uses the AB software.

I just bought a kestrel sportsman. Ive been comparing it to the AB app on my phone that is trued to 1910yds (the farthest ove shot to date) and it matches correctly. I wasnt interested in the extra cost of the elite version at all and the sportsman still uses the AB software.

Where did you find the sportsman at? I know that Kestrel discontinued the sportsman model w/ AB and moved over to this model w/o AB and another ballistics program (assuming their own?).

I'd love a sportsmans w/ AB if I could find it, but again, not sure if I'd be alright with the non-sportsmans newer model that uses the other ballistic program.

I will have a review soon on LRO but I am not quit ready yet. There are a couple threads over there you could ask in.

For that distance youre fine with the ballistics version. I just typed kestrel sportman into the google machine and business here in canada had a handful on clearance so i snagged one. And if you start venturing into elr and find youre not getting accurate dope far out there you could upgrade the firmware to the elite. Even then id think you would have to be shooting pretty far

Search Panhandle Precision on youtube. Hes got some good videos on meters and a bunch of other stuff. I really enjoy his videos. Hes got a short video on G1 G7 and CDM and which he uses.

You can "only" load 3 rifles into the ballistics version buts its easy to swap them out with the app. If youre at the range its not like youd need to be in a hurry to change them out with the app, and if youre hunting you would already have it loaded with the rifle youre packing so no deal breaker there either

As a side note, as soon as i got my kestrel i drove out to take a few shots. The AB app has litz custom g7 and drag model that i purchased. Neither of those agreed with my drops out to 1910yds. Im shooting the hornady 225 eldm (first run not up update shape change). His g7 is 0.386 but i use 0.362 and that has worked for all the shooting ive done out to 1910yd.

So i got to my shooting perch and found a small spot of dirt on the hillside that was 910yd. I turned the kestrel on, updated the environment caption, took a wind reading caption, pointed the back of the unit at the target and captured that. Dialed what it told me and had 3 rounds impact perfect for elevation and 0.1mil (1/3moa) left. It would have been a dead animal!

As a side note, as soon as i got my kestrel i drove out to take a few shots. The AB app has litz custom g7 and drag model that i purchased. Neither of those agreed with my drops out to 1910yds. Im shooting the hornady 225 eldm (first run not up update shape change). His g7 is 0.386 but i use 0.362 and that has worked for all the shooting ive done out to 1910yd.

So i got to my shooting perch and found a small spot of dirt on the hillside that was 910yd. I turned the kestrel on, updated the environment caption, took a wind reading caption, pointed the back of the unit at the target and captured that. Dialed what it told me and had 3 rounds impact perfect for elevation and 0.1mil (1/3moa) left. It would have been a dead animal!

Great to hear! I am VERY new to the whole long-range shooting concept, so I have alot to learn. Realistically, I just want to be a repeatable, accurate shot to about 600 yards -- further than that would just be for my own fun/enjoyment, as I don't have any plans to compete in any precision/match events.

I was able to find a Sportsman model w/ ConX (don't have a need for this) online for a pretty good deal. Is the newer model w/o AB still a better deal over the older, Sportsman model w/ AB, or would this be a good buy?

My understanding is the Ballistic version is a more affordable option to the sportsman. Whether this means it does the same im not sure. My assumption would be it doesnt have the AB software.

Thats the same model i have, sportsman link conX. In my case i found the sportsman for less money than the new ballistics version so i bought it

I believe another feature the 5700 elite has over the sportsman is they updated the hosing design of the battery box area, its more waterproof and is sealed away from the internals and motherboard so if your battery leaks it wont destroy the unit. It was a problem they were having.
For that distance youre fine with the ballistics version. I just typed kestrel sportman into the google machine and business here in canada had a handful on clearance so i snagged one. And if you start venturing into elr and find youre not getting accurate dope far out there you could upgrade the firmware to the elite. Even then id think you would have to be shooting pretty far

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.