Kentucky Elk Hunting

maninthemaze

I was just wondering how many people would be putting for the elk tags in Ky? Did you put in for all 4 hunts (gun bull, gun cow, bow bull, bow cow)? And do you have a place lined up in case you manage to draw a golden ticket?

I lived in KY for 5 years and never got a chance to draw one. I assume it is possible but I've never met anyone who has drawn a tag. I have a good friend who is a retired game warden in Barren county who has put in every year since the elk tags were offered and has never drawn. Good luck!!

I put in for all 4.... I'll worry about a spot when I draw. But living here in the state I'm not as concerned because I'll be able to scout and make multiple trips.

If I snag a bull rifle tag maybe I'll look at LMO or someone.

Good luck to all those who applied!

Good luck guys. Living in Ohio I always thought it would be nice to pull one of the Elk tags in Kentucky. Not sure how I would get it out of the woods if I did get one, but it would be fun.

Jim

We have a points system but it's not like a real points system....I've been applying since the beginning, about 13 years or so, that means I have 13 chances in the bucket..you have just as good a chance your first time. We've never had a winner from within 50miles of me in PA..

I put in for all four. I'm like you, there are other things that I've wasted more money on. And I'm close enough, still 4 hours away though, that I can make several scouting trips before the season opens.

I wanted to start to apply yearly, but if I drew a tag I wouldn't even know were to begin, I would have to find a guide???

Just from what research I've done, there is quite a bit of public land to hunt on. Private land owners who enroll 5000 acres or more in a WMA get a free elk tag to do with what they want. Several coal companies and a few other companies with large parcels of land have enrolled in the program.

Kentucky told me I was a lower again this year. I haven't heard of anyone in my area getting drawn. Maybe one of these years I'll get to hunt elk in my home state.

After many, many years (every year since the draw began), I got the news that I had been drawn for a bull archery tag. Already got a new crossbow and started practicing. Crossbows are legal for those 65 and older. Hunt starts September 17.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.