Kentucky guides for elk

I've heard good things about Lost Mountain Outfitters from a friend who drew a tag. Your best odds are for a cow, at around 1 in 400. Less than 1 in 1000 nonres applicants get a bull tag, and about 1 in 800 get an either sex archery tag.

I have not put in for a tag yet. Trying to plan out for next year and figure it out. This would be for a 2 person gun hunt
Good luck. There's a good chance you apply your whole life without getting a tag. There's no preference points or anything, it's totally random. I still apply every year, but don't expect to ever draw one.

Good luck. There's a good chance you apply your whole life without getting a tag. There's no preference points or anything, it's totally random. I still apply every year, but don't expect to ever draw one.
I didn't know that. Do tags apply for the whole state or can you select units/areas?

I didn't know that. Do tags apply for the whole state or can you select units/areas?
There's a second draw for units after the draw for tags. If you draw a tag you give your preferences for units, then a random draw assigns your unit. You can choose up to 5, and there's 6 units so if you're not drawn for any you get the other one. I'm not sure what happens if you choose less than 5 and aren't drawn. You'll still get the tag, but I don't know how they'll assign a unit.

There's no party applications. If you want to hunt with someone else there's an even slimmer chance you'll both get a tag the same year.

For residents there is something similar to points. Any leftover tags are put into a second draw where residents who have been applying unsuccessfully the longest will be drawn first. For nonresidents that doesn't apply.

Only a small portion of Kentucky really has elk. You can get an OTC tag for elk outside of the elk zone, but they try hard to keep elk contained in the elk zone. That's the whole reason for the OTC tags. It's very much an opportunistic tag for deer hunters who might see an elk while they're out.

I'd like to elk hunt closer to home (Missouri). Does any have recommendations for a guide in Kentucky?
Here's a link to the Kentucky Elk guide Association affiliated guides: you are being redirected

There's no harm in talking with guides ...however, note that many KY guides only operate in specific units. Example: if you commit to working with Guide A, who operates only in Units 2 and 3 ... and you draw in Unit 4 (lottery-based system, though you can submit up to 5 preferences) then you're on your own, or you need to hook up with a guide that operates in Unit 4.

I drew a cow tag this year and had this happen. Not the end of the world, just know the entire process is up to luck of the draw ... twice. First draw to get an elk tag, second draw to find out what unit you will hunt in. Reach out if you have questions.

I'm not sure what happens if you choose less than 5 and aren't drawn. You'll still get the tag, but I don't know how they'll assign a unit.

I input less than 5 preferences before, and didn't draw any of them ... in theses cases, a unit is randomly assigned to you based on where openings remain within units that haven't yet filled with the max allowable hunters.

Ok thanks guys. I'll put in for that and check out areas for archery OTC tags in Colorado. I would like to gun hunt so I'll continue to read more.

Recent Posts