Keltec Sub2000 .40 s&w use as a ranch gun

TheBlackMambaXD

My family will soon be moving to rougher country higher in the mountains, and I've been looking around for a good gun to keep around the house for my mom and sisters. I like the Keltec; its cheep, reliable, simple to use, lower recoil. But my concern is if it has enough stopping power. We raise sheep and I need something that can stop a coyote, maybe the rare cougar or small wolf at about 100-150yds max. Is the .40 out of a 16" barrel capable of that?

Yeah, I agree. I have one and it's what I'd use, but I don't feel comfortable putting it in the hands of someone who is very inexperienced. I'd prefer a keltec for that reason. Its simple to operate. Also i'd prefer a .40 because I don't think they ricochet as bad as a .223. There are houses nearby. Anyway, original question still stands. If you guys don't think a .40 is practical i'll find something else. Thanks

Yeah, I agree. I have one and it's what I'd use, but I don't feel comfortable putting it in the hands of someone who is very inexperienced. I'd prefer a keltec for that reason. Its simple to operate. Also i'd prefer a .40 because I don't think they ricochet as bad as a .223. There are houses nearby.

I would second the vote for the AR. In the amount of time you could train them on the keltec I think you could teach them the AR. I don't think I would want to engage anything living out past maybe 75 yards with even a long barreled .40 S&W. Not just for terminal performance but external ballistics as well. The .223 has a flatter trajectory and easier to make hits at longer ranges. Also, there are reduced ricochet rounds.
Good luck with whatever you decide.

What about an AR in 300 ACC blackout? It would be flatter and have more reach than a .40 and be slower and fatter than a 223 so it might not ricochet quite as bad. I always thought the blackout was the most useless thing the gun world has ever seen but it might be slick for that use...

What about an AR in 300 ACC blackout? It would be flatter and have more reach than a .40 and be slower and fatter than a 223 so it might not ricochet quite as bad. I always thought the blackout was the most useless thing the gun world has ever seen but it might be slick for that use...

This is exactly what I just clicked on this link to type. :D

With supersonics, the 16" AR15 in .300 BLK will be a 150 yard gun, no problem, and will work great for anything that might need dispatching around the ranch. With subsonics and a good suppressor, your neighbors probably won't even hear it go off, and if they do, they won't know it's a gun, because it will be VERY quiet, and it also won't bother them when you shoot. Subsonics can be shot out to around 100 yards. If you plan on reloading for it, something mid-weight would be a great all-around, like a 168 grain bullet. Gives you the knock-down of a heavy, but still much faster than a subsonic with a heavy chunk of lead.

Yep, the 300 blk. out or 7.62x39 in the Ruger mini 30 rifle would also be a good rifle for your task.

300 blackout is a very cool round, but ammo is hard to find and expensive. I might look at building a cheaper AR. you're right, a cheap AR isn't much more expensive. I can get a Keltec for 489 of Impact Guns. Thanks

300 blackout is a very cool round, but ammo is hard to find and expensive. I might look at building a cheaper AR. you're right, a cheap AR isn't much more expensive. I can get a Keltec for 489 of Impact Guns. Thanks

Yeah, factory ammo is kind of ridiculous. But, if you reload, making your own brass is cheap and easy. You can pickup range 5.56 cases everywhere, and you can cut and form your own cases, which means your brass only costs as much as your time is worth. The round is VERY efficient, and uses very small amounts of magnum pistol powder (H110, 300-MP, etc...). 1 lb. of powder can load around 400 rounds of ammo. Primers are cheap. About the only expense in reloading it will be the .30 caliber bullets.

I reload for mine, and make my own cases from range pickup LC 5.56 brass. Now Federal sells actual Lake City .300 BLK brass for pretty cheap. I think 250 pcs. for around $65 or so.

So I own said gun and enjoy it. The MV increase one a pistol is not insignificant at all.

That said, it's not got the sights for 100-150yds at a coyote and not the punch either. Sure, I'm sure if you get lucky and hit it the animal will die. But when I want to shoot 100-150 yes with a pistol caliber carbine it's my Ruger Deerhunter in 44MAG.

Get a .223, with the right rounds your ricochet concerns are reversed. I was shooting my AR with 55gr VMAX rounds in a prairie dog town last fall. At close range the round were hitting low in the mound, and the bullets were disintegrating before penetrating 2 inches of dirt. Shoot light/frangible varmint bullets and the ricochet risk is less than many pistol rounds.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.