Keeping your barrel cool…

I am in AZ too. I have the magneto speed cooler and it works pretty well, but doesn't move tons of air. I also bought a cheap air blower off Amazon that worked with my 20V dewalt batteries. I stick a 10' poly hose in the end and taped it in. I stick that in the suppressor and barrels to move alot more air volume. I bring an igloo lunchbox ice chest full of frozen ice packs that I stock the blower in. It helps keep the air cooler going thru the guns and suppressor, but also helps keep the noise muffled a little. The cooler is cracked open about 1/2" along where the hose comes out.

I have only 1 range time on the dewalt air pump setup, but it worked pretty well. That was 2 weeks ago when it was 115*

I also started putting temp straps on the barrels of some of my rifles to make sure they are getting back down close to ambient between strings.

I use an infrared gun to determine the barrel's temperature. They are inexpensive everyone can own one.

example: Amazon product ASIN B00837ZGRY

I don't shoot nearly as much as many of you, except checking barrel temps….. however, I don't live in those temperatures!

But, I have one of those and have used it for many things , and stays in my truck door anytime not being used somewhere else.

We do quite a bit of heavy trailer towing, on each stop I'll check truck and trailer tire and bearing temperature. Ocassionaly, I'll even do a temp-check on the truck rear differential! memtb

I don't shoot nearly as much as many of you, except checking barrel temps….. however, I don't live in those temperatures!

But, I have one of those and have used it for many things , and stays in my truck door anytime not being used somewhere else.

We do quite a bit of heavy trailer towing, on each stop I'll check truck and trailer tire and bearing temperature. Ocassionaly, I'll even do a temp-check on the truck rear differential! memtb
Ha, hah, been branded by hot bearing or brake a few times myself. The water bottle splash, is quick temp check too. Think the outfit that makes those tempilstik checks pre-heats for welders, could make em for barrels too. If that LSA is going up in smoke thru the hand guard and she looks like the smoke off the ol Lionel train set, hot enuff to cook off a round. Watch that muzzle direction, as always.

Last edited:

I need to get the temp stickers. You put a temp sticker on your barrel and folks gonna know you're serious…🤣

I fill it with ice and beer and works well

Attachments

• IMG_4622.jpeg
    IMG_4622.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 58