kahles or tanget theta

Agree I'm not experiencing either issue once properly setup - i.e. ring height - stock cheek weld, rise of comb etc.

This is crazy talk to me. I have 5-6 NX8 4-32's and the low light is excellent. Surprisingly excellent. Just a tad behind my Swaro Z6i's. I've compared the NX8 to my S&B Ultra Bright, Kahles, etc and it's very close in low light. Absolutely no tunneling and doesn't have a narrow FOV.
^this
I have owed all brands of scopes chasing "the best glass". Excluding predator hunting there comes a point where enough is enough, unless you hunt after legal hours. I can not think of a time where the nx8 would not have had sufficient low light performance. Keep your magnification at a level that allows enough exit pupil to your eyes.

The nx8 has been proven to resist impacts, giving me confidence crossing that horrible rail road crossing that I swear all 4 tires of my truck leave the ground on with the gun case riding in back. Will that scope with the best glass provide the same confidence?

Seems to me buyers of the most expensive scopes for hunting rifles are driven just as much by social status (guilty myself) as they are by performance gains.

This is crazy talk to me. I have 5-6 NX8 4-32's and the low light is excellent. Surprisingly excellent. Just a tad behind my Swaro Z6i's. I've compared the NX8 to my S&B Ultra Bright, Kahles, etc and it's very close in low light. Absolutely no tunneling and doesn't have a narrow FOV.

Not saying I don't believe you, but I haven't experienced any of this with any of mine.

I can see how someone would think the eye box is a little tight, but taking off the Tennebrex cover fixes that.
Did you purchase right after the initial release or awhile later?

It sounds like either NF had a problem with the initial production run, OR heard all the complaints and fixed something in the design/production.

Right after the initial release, I checked out a few of the 2.5-20 versions and they were shockingly awful. I'm interested in giving a 4-32 a try, but when you can pick up a used 4-16 ATACR for $1800 I've gone the ATACR route in the past.

It sounds like either NF had a problem with the initial production run, OR heard all the complaints and fixed something in the design/production.

Right after the initial release, I checked out a few of the 2.5-20 versions and they were shockingly awful. I'm interested in giving a 4-32 a try, but when you can pick up a used 4-16 ATACR for $1800 I've gone the ATACR route in the past.
We like our 4-32 models but haven't had any of the initial ones to compare against. Also really like the ATACR's but the NX8 does shave some oz's if you're looking to cut weight.

No. Mine have all been in the last 2.5 years.
I will say that I actually didn't like the 20x NX8. I feel it did lack in a few areas optically. I had 2 and sold them both.

I do see all the complaints, and you may very well be on to something with NF initial release of the NX8's., but like I mentioned earlier, mine are just fantastic.

I agree the 2.5-20 should be discontinued.

Used and demo model nx8 & atacr can be hard to beat

And replace it with nx5 4-20
and with pull up or locking elevation turret
and useable at low power & floating dot reticle
and a bit lighter
and a bit shorter
Now that would do it for me, everyone is different but there's no way around the optical issues of the short tube with an 8x erector. I spent days shooting long range targets, and lots of evenings glassing bucks at various ranges with my NX8, mk5, and AMG side by side.
The nx8 was noticeably inferior in every optical category, it was an early model like a year after they were released.
Why NF didn't go with a 5x zoom is beyond me, I like the old nxs better than the 8

We like our 4-32 models but haven't had any of the initial ones to compare against. Also really like the ATACR's but the NX8 does shave some oz's if you're looking to cut weight.
I have ounce counting spreadsheets like most guys, but the 4-16 ATACR is 1.4oz heavier than the NX8. Now compared to the 5-25 or 7-35, the NX8 has some real weight savings.

And replace it with nx5 4-20
and with pull up or locking elevation turret
and useable at low power & floating dot reticle
In concept, I'm right there with you. It's too bad NF can't use the zero lock turrets on other scopes. I also much prefer the mil-c in the 4-16 over the mil-c in the NX8 line or other ATACRs.

I was pretty excited about the 4-20 ATACR only to be disappointed by the news that it tunnels from 4-5.5x. It doesn't leave a lot of confidence that they could get it right in a lesser model line, but maybe.

I continue to hear about tunneling issues on various scopes. My understanding this is when you see the internal part of the objective when viewing in low magnification. The only time I have run into this issue is when I creep up to close (too short of optimal eye relief). I may be misunderstanding, but have not run into this issue referenced by some of the posters.

I continue to hear about tunneling issues on various scopes. My understanding this is when you see the internal part of the objective when viewing in low magnification. The only time I have run into this issue is when I creep up to close (too short of optimal eye relief). I may be misunderstanding, but have not run into this issue referenced by some of the posters.
When the optic is properly set-up, tunneling basically refers to no increase in FoV when magnification decreases. You'll see an increasing black ring around the edge as you reduce magnification at the bottom end. A ton of scopes tunnel at the very low end. The severity varies.

Not saying I don't believe you, but I haven't experienced any of this with any of mine.

I can see how someone would think the eye box is a little tight, but taking off the Tennebrex cover fixes that.
I had the total opposite experience multiple times with my 4-32 NX8, sold it because the low light was so terrible in hunting conditions. I have several scopes that I use for hunting and all of them are Swarovski. They are night and day brighter at first light and last light while hunting than either an ATACR or NX8.

Didn't have any problems otherwise with the NX8 and really liked it, as it does check a lot of boxes. Better glass and turrets than the NXS and a few ounces lighter. Most of my time in the woods is hunting whitetails at first and last light and I was repeatedly having problems with not being able to see through my scope well enough to shoot with the NX8, when my binos, naked eye and rangefinder were all brighter...

I had the total opposite experience multiple times with my 4-32 NX8, sold it because the low light was so terrible in hunting conditions. I have several scopes that I use for hunting and all of them are Swarovski. They are night and day brighter at first light and last light while hunting than either an ATACR or NX8.

Didn't have any problems otherwise with the NX8 and really liked it, as it does check a lot of boxes. Better glass and turrets than the NXS and a few ounces lighter. Most of my time in the woods is hunting whitetails at first and last light and I was repeatedly having problems with not being able to see through my scope well enough to shoot with the NX8, when my binos, naked eye and rangefinder were all brighter...
I would agree. For woods hunting, I'd go with brighter glass.