Steiner Military or Kahles K Scope

yote doctor

I need help with first hand experience on these two particular scopes. I have not looked through either and will not be able to until I purchase one of them. Close in price though.

-Kahles K 3-12x50 MSR 34mm

-Steiner T5Xi 3-15x50 SCR 34mm

I know both are rugged and reliable. Im looking at more of glass quality/clarity as well as forgiving eye box/eye relief and any tunneling affect if any...

I have searched for days on the web and have not found enough info to make me decide.

Thanks
Brian

I've not had the opportunity to look through a Steiner M series scope. I've read they are a top tier scope. I did watch a video comparing the Steiner you asked about...with a Kahles K 624i. Here's a link to the video:

I ended up getting the Kahles K 624i AMR. Haven't used it much yet....but I've been very happy with edge to edge clarity, the turrets have very precise clicks and the focus knob is very unique...and should work well. It appears to compare favorably to my Premier Heritage scopes.

If you end up getting the Kahles.....I'd highly recommend looking at the Aadmount flip up caps. They are more spend than Butler Creeks.....but they are super heavy duty and have a bolt tensioner: AADMOUNT Flip Up Scope Caps

Wayne

Last edited by a moderator:
I've found the eye box very forgiving in the Kahles. I really appreciate the field of view....and clarity and sharpness are excellent. I also appreciate the turrets....very precise clicks....but less effort than my Premiers. Hopefully someone with an M series can chime in on that scope.

Good Luck,

Wayne

The Steiner I listed is the newer series. That video has the Steiner 3-12x50 discontinued model. How do you like using that K series parallax adjustment directly under the elevation turret. Interesting for sure. And a better scope cap would be a must.

Thanks

The video was as close as I could come to a direct comparison when I was trying to decide. Actually it was between the T5Xi and the Kahles, for me. The focus knob should be interesting.....just adjust when dialing in my dope. With my other scopes I'm using my left hand as I'm looking through the scope.

The negative comments about the Kahles......some have said they experience CA in bright light. I purchased an ARD thinking it might be the case that too much light is coming through the scope. I haven't appreciated any CA looking through the scope in bright light with our snow on the ground. A second issue I've read about is some have felt they could not focus the scope.......to where they found the images to be very sharp. I have not experience this.....but I have a second Gen. Evidently Kahles made some changes for the second Gen scopes because of complaints. The third Gen, which is just coming out, is reported to be the best yet.....time will tell.

It's really hard to make a decision on these top tier scopes.....based solely on subjective information found on the Internet. I really appreciate your dilemma.....because I live in a rural area and would never see one of these scopes at my local range.....I am forced to pour over as many threads as possible. Thankfully I haven't been burned by what info. Is available.

Good luck.....I think sometimes it's like splitting hairs when trying to decide which top tier scope to buy. Either way you're probably going to be very happy.

Wayne

I don't have any experience with the new Steiner T series scopes, but can tell you without any hesitation that the Kahles K312II (not the new 2015 model K312i) is an outstanding optical design. The new K312i is even better with left side windage combined with top mounted parallax like the K624i. Some of our dealers probably still have the K312II models available in stock, but you might need to do some calling to find one.

The Steiners are still fairly new, not a lot of information on them available yet.

If you have any specific questions about the Kahles, I'd be happy to answer them for you.

Nick G.

Even though it is the discontinued model, I hope you'll report back your observations on the scope after you've had some time to use it in the field a while.

Discontinued means even better price!

And I will give an opinion on the scope after few months of use. Will be testing at the range as well as in the field on coyotes at 400-800 yards.

Kahles first impressions

Glass: wow! Very clear edge to edge. Field of view is outstanding. (Just what I was looking for)

MSR Reticle: very thin even on 12x but I do think it will work for intended purposes. If you like to "aim small" this reticle is almost perfect IMO.

Turrets: very audible "clicky". No drifting between .1 mil adjustments. Always inline with indicator arrow. These are turrets you could dial using sound only.

These are just first impressions and will be getting range time today. "With my new suppressor installed on FN SPR 308. Should be a blast and I have to say, this is the most excitement I have had for trying out a new scope.

Thanks for your input

Kahles first impressions

Glass: wow! Very clear edge to edge. Field of view is outstanding. (Just what I was looking for)

MSR Reticle: very thin even on 12x but I do think it will work for intended purposes. If you like to "aim small" this reticle is almost perfect IMO.

Turrets: very audible "clicky". No drifting between .1 mil adjustments. Always inline with indicator arrow. These are turrets you could dial using sound only.

These are just first impressions and will be getting range time today. "With my new suppressor installed on FN SPR 308. Should be a blast and I have to say, this is the most excitement I have had for trying out a new scope.

Thanks for your input
Do you have a long-term update on the Kahles k312i?

Recent Posts