JUST GOT BOTH: lyman Gen5 and RCBS Chargemaster

Derek M.

I was comparing the latest Sinclair/Brownell's catalog prices with our local Bass Pro shop since I've been reading so much about the electronic scales. Both companies have all 3 in stock, the Lyman Gen5, the RCBS Chargemaster, and the Hornady. Curiously, the price on the Lyman in Sinclair was around $350 and at Bass Pro, $259 but the RCBS was $334 at Sinclair and $369 at Bass Pro.

I asked a manager if he'd match Sinclair and it was a done deal, but with their price being close to $100 less on the Lyman, I couldn't help but wonder if it was a goof so I bought one of each. Just played with both as I'm new to this stuff. I've been doing the Redding BR30 thrower/measure and then trickling for over 20 years. Nothing wrong with that method but I intend to start loading and shooting like I was doing before 2009. That means a lot more and I'm tired of using the old method, so I thought I'd try to streamline.

At the moment I can't really tell that one is preferred over the other. That said, when I tested some powder in each (VVN165) and compared both to my older RCBS electric scale, the 2 RCBS scales were identical. The Lyman was 0.2 less.

I will likely keep both.

Will someone refresh my memory on the "McDonald's straw" thing? Did someone insert that into the dispenser in the RCBS for some reason and if so, why? Mine seems to function just fine.

The mc Donald's straw inserted I into the dispenser tube is to reduce overthrows. I use this method but the I have my straw shimmed with paper for a snug fit. The main powders I use are h-1000 and varget, you would think varget would meter pretty well but both powders had over throwing in my charge master to the point of proly 8 outa 10. Some days much better but some days very frustrating. Then I tryed the straw thing and now it works extremely well I loaded about 300 rds of .223 the other day and had mabye 10 over throughs. If yours works fine as is then that's great. I think my next charge master mod will be to program it to speed up the dispensing process.

Well, maybe I should watch more closely. I just loaded up several test rounds for my 6.5-284 using Reloder 19, H4350, and VVN165. The RCBS continued to stop dead on at my chosen weight and beeped. Should I wait a few seconds to see if it is going to increase in weight although the dispenser has ceased?

Either way, I like both very much right off the bat. The Lyman Gen 5 seems to be more advanced and I prefer it's drain system over the rotary chargemaster. I use a can of compressed air to blow out excess powder. That works better than the brush.

Sure is nice to speed up the whole process!

What chargemaster "mod" are you referring to?

Don't have any experience with any of those powders but I will be trying imr 4350 in my 6.5x47 soon. I did the same thing at first with the charge master, wait for the beep and pour. But wait for the round count to come across the screen then after the charge weight will appear and show if it is correct under or over.

The Lyman sounds cool but I'm pleased with my charge master. I'm sure compressed air works good. I just tilt mine back and down and blow down the tube, just make sure you hit the trickle button to get the opening on the dispenser tube facing down.

Here is a link to the mod Speed Up Your RCBS ChargeMaster within AccurateShooter.com

I didn't think I needed to go any faster when I first upgraded like yourself, but after a few years I want to speed up the process as I've added more cartridges to the arsenal.

I just loaded up some 270 rounds with the scales side by side. Blew through the batch pulling charges off each scale one after the other. I'm very pleased. I put the cover on the top of the powder holder and use the can of compressed air, put its straw at the dispensing tube end and give some pressure.

The CM will always display to charge setting on completion(seemingly dead nuts everytime).
You have to disturb the pan and get a re-reading to know it's right. Just takes a couple seconds.

The CM will always display to charge setting on completion(seemingly dead nuts everytime).
You have to disturb the pan and get a re-reading to know it's right. Just takes a couple seconds.

I was not aware of that. Hmm, will do some more loads tonight for fun and see what happens.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.