Just did something silly but I like it already!!!

Fiftydriver

Official LRH Sponsor
Well, I used to hunt alot with a built XP-100 in 338 WSM. I really loved the performance of that chambering out to 500-600 yards on big game. Had a customer throw me an offer I could not several years back and let that handgun go.

Since then I have been telling myself that I need to build myself another 338 WSM handcannon but just never took the time to do it. Then the other day I noticed that T/C now offered a stainless steel 28" prohunter barrel in 338 Win Mag....... See where this is going.

Well, I have a couple Encore handgun frames so decided it would be a relatively affordable project to order in one of these barrels, take the 28" barrel down to 17.5" in length and fit it with one of my Medium Painkiller muzzle brakes.

The barrel came in late this afternoon so I took a few hours after I got done working in the shop and did the minor sugery needed. I do not yet have the composite rifle forend. It should be here early next week. The handgun length one just did not look right on the 17.5" barrel length, plus the rifle length forend will be better for shooting off the tripod handgun rest.

Anyway, just to see how it would feel I loaded up a few rounds using 73.0 gr Rl-19 under a 225 gr Hornady Interbond seated 20 thou off the lands. There was NO muzzle jump at all. Recoil...... Well, my bare muzzled 270 Win 15" Encore handgun has about 4 times as much recoil as this new handcannon.

Again, should have it finished early next week and will post some pictures of my crazy project. Will be very curious to see what this 338 Win Mag does in the 17.5" barrel length. The 338 Win Mag will outpeform the 338 WSM but probably not when the WSM is in an XP and the Win Mag is in an Encore, the XP is just vastly stronger and can be loaded to much higher pressures. Still, if they are close to the same performance I will be more then happy.

Next one may be a 300 Win Mag cut to handgun length. We will see how this one goes first. More to come.

Kirby,
Good for you!
Looking forward to your shooting reports.
E

Well, I used to hunt alot with a built XP-100 in 338 WSM. I really loved the performance of that chambering out to 500-600 yards on big game. Had a customer throw me an offer I could not several years back and let that handgun go.

Since then I have been telling myself that I need to build myself another 338 WSM handcannon but just never took the time to do it. Then the other day I noticed that T/C now offered a stainless steel 28" prohunter barrel in 338 Win Mag....... See where this is going.

Well, I have a couple Encore handgun frames so decided it would be a relatively affordable project to order in one of these barrels, take the 28" barrel down to 17.5" in length and fit it with one of my Medium Painkiller muzzle brakes.

The barrel came in late this afternoon so I took a few hours after I got done working in the shop and did the minor sugery needed. I do not yet have the composite rifle forend. It should be here early next week. The handgun length one just did not look right on the 17.5" barrel length, plus the rifle length forend will be better for shooting off the tripod handgun rest.

Anyway, just to see how it would feel I loaded up a few rounds using 73.0 gr Rl-19 under a 225 gr Hornady Interbond seated 20 thou off the lands. There was NO muzzle jump at all. Recoil...... Well, my bare muzzled 270 Win 15" Encore handgun has about 4 times as much recoil as this new handcannon.

Again, should have it finished early next week and will post some pictures of my crazy project. Will be very curious to see what this 338 Win Mag does in the 17.5" barrel length. The 338 Win Mag will outpeform the 338 WSM but probably not when the WSM is in an XP and the Win Mag is in an Encore, the XP is just vastly stronger and can be loaded to much higher pressures. Still, if they are close to the same performance I will be more then happy.

Next one may be a 300 Win Mag cut to handgun length. We will see how this one goes first. More to come.

Did a little shooting at lunch today. Pretty happy, 73.0 gr RL-19 produced 2550 fps with the 225 gr Interbond. On the mild side yet but I do not like to push the Encore locking mechanism to hard.

Groups at 100 yards were consistantly under 1 moa so for now, plenty accurate. This load is matching the velocity of my marlin lever action in 338 Marlin Express but getting the same speed with 25 grain heavier bullet, should work well.

I may have a chance to get into a trophy Pere David Deer hunt in the next week or so, will try to use this combo on that hunt, these are +500 lb critters so should be a good test. Just have to see if I can make it work timewise for the hunt.

Got some game tracker pics of a Stag that will probably push the SCI #1 pretty hard. he is far enough away that its hard to tell for sure but he will be close.

Ran into an issue with this project. The interbond load shot pretty darn well to start with but this morning it was cutting 7-9" groups at 100 yards..... Cleaned the bore, switched out scopes and tried again, no luck......

Ran back to the shop, loaded up some 200 gr Accubonds over 74.0 gr Rl-19 which produced 2660 fps. Headed out to the range, shot 6 three shot groups, largest was 1.174" ctc and the smallest was 0.548" ctc. For some reason, the Interbonds went south.

Funny thing is that in all the groups with the interbond, two of the three would be very close and then a DRAMATIC flier would open a 1 moa group up to a 7-9" group. Happened with every group. Never consistant as to which shot was the flier, happened on first shot, second shot and third shot in different groups.

I have not checked the twist rate of this barrel but I assume its a 1-10. Maybe its a 1-12 and the Interbond is just a bit to long???? hard to say, its clear however that the 200 gr Accubond is going to be a shooter. Plus, even less recoil and more velocity.

Went from very low to feeling much better now!!! I think a big pere david deer is about to be in trouble!!!

Kirby,
Looks like you have found the right bullet/powder combo.
Now, just go find that Stag and kill it!:)

The ranch owner wanted me to come down this weekend but it the 10 year anniversary that my MUCH better half agreed to put up with me for life. Not sure why but she seems to want to hang in there. Figured being with the family was much more important.

He wanted me to come down Monday but I have to go to Jury Duty selection....... Just went a month ago, something not right there.

Anyway, if I do not get selected to jury duty, I am out of here Wed morning to see if we can hunt one of the big stags down in a few days of hunting.

Got to be home by Fathers day or my little 5 year old will NOT BE HAPPY!!!

If it works out I will post a full report.

One of the guys in camp last fall had a 300 mag T/C hand cannon and I fired it. Pretty cool and on my list of guns to have.

Good luck on your hunt!!

The 300 Win Mag with a good muzzle brake would not move at all hardly from recoil or have any muzzle jump. I may do that for my next one, get another prohunter barrel and cut it down and install another of my PK brakes on it.

Most would be amazed at how comfortable these big handcannons are to shoot.

Boy, that sounds like fun with the cut down 338. I use rl19 in my #1 in 338 win at 75 grains with either the 225 hdy sp or the 225 accubond. 2900 fps in a 26" tube so you aren't loosing that bad at 2 grains less powder and about 9 inches less barrel.
I've had similar issues with interbond bullets in my 270 where they toss a few good groups and all goes to pot at 2-3 inch 100 yard groups the next time out. I think it's the bullet more than your barrel. I had to go to wc872 in my 270 win to get repeatable performance from these bullets. I bought 1000 cheap and HAD to make 'em shoot or they would be in the trash right now.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.