Just acquired a 338-378 WBY Magnum

Recoil of your 270 WBY I guarantee is less than a rifle shooting a 250 gr bullet 3,000 FPS +

No way dude. You can't guarantee that. My 338-378 kicked substantially less shooting 300 grain bullets since it had a factory break on it, as does yours. My 270 weatherby does not have a break. Also the wood stock on my 270 weather seems to transfer the recoil well. I GUARANTEE you that the 270 weatherby has more felt recoil than the 338-378 does with a brake. I owned both.

Last edited:
I had the same issue with my first Roy. Minus the ring failure.
I put a egw rail on it. I believe they made it make the night force rails. I also used egw rings if I remember correctly. I use loctite on everything no issues. Even corrected my left to right issues I had with the rail and rings it came with.

Look up Near Manufacturing. Richard Near makes some unbelievable rails and rings. He is a Weatherby guy and his stuff is meant for them. You'll never have an issue with rings and bases again if you buy them from him. I own several.

I have a Near base on mine with SPUHR rings. Haven't had a single problem. I did buy a different brake for it tho. I went with the Area 419 Sidewinder and it's amazing. It's my work in progress, not the easiest action to build off of, but It didn't seem right to get a Weatherby rifle not chambered in a Weatherby cartridge.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.