Just acquired a 338-378 WBY Magnum

Iron Worker

Problems . Bought a Mk V accumark used under 50 rounds thru it( Came with new and once fired brass,Dies and 2lbs of Retumbo and Leupold scope I've since sold,deal of a life time,couldn't pass it up). Previous owner used Leupold Standard rings ,after 40 rounds recoil destroyed those rings. Installed a Ken Farrell industries rail on it designed for WBY Mag.But rifle shot hard right,so I installed Burris signature rings with off set shims.I was then able to zero rifle. The directions with Farrell rail said recheck screws and recoil lug screw after first few shooting sessions. I noticed a few shots would be on the money and then next group was way high and to the right !!! So I re-checked screws and they were a little lose. Directions said the rail is settling in. So back to the range tomorrow,the factory brake is fine for shooting standing up,but not off a bench . I bought a Terminator 5 port T4 and it was unbelievable the recoil reduction,but oh the muzzle blast was huge. Anyhow any one have experience with these big boomers,any suggestions ? Looking back I wish I save my cash and bought a 6.5 PRC ,but I love guns like us all.

I'm not sure why the leupold rings were destroyed. Were you shooting the gun with the factory brake on it? On my 338-378 the factory break worked ok. I ended up selling mine because of the extreme freebore the gun had. I couldn't load the rounds seated to the jump I wanted in the internal magazine. If all else fails buy some good rings and base and locktite everything. If weight isn't a concern I like using steel based and rings.

Standard rings were already on rifle. Some one posted a picture showing the rings package or some where on the rings saying 300 WM and less. At where the ring cams into base it wiggled like jello.

Standard rings were already on rifle. Some one posted a picture showing the rings package or some where on the rings saying 300 WM and less. At where the ring cams into base it wiggled like jello.

I think I'd send them to leupold and them may send you a new pair. That should not happen. I've got those rings on a 270 weatherby unbraked and have had them on there for 15 years. It's the worst kicking rifle I have besides maybe the 50 and the rings are just as tight as the day they were installed.

I think I'd send them to leupold and them may send you a new pair. That should not happen. I've got those rings on a 270 weatherby unbraked and have had them on there for 15 years. It's the worst kicking rifle I have besides maybe the 50 and the rings are just as tight as the day they were installed.

I bought a slightly used .270 Wby Mark V , no brake, which had the same Leupold rings you had. These wiggled the same way as IW's. Bought Talley one piece and have never had any issues since. Perhaps IW and I wound up with some bad ones.

I bought a slightly used .270 Wby Mark V , no brake, which had the same Leupold rings you had. These wiggled the same way as IW's. Bought Talley one piece and have never had any issues since. Perhaps IW and I wound up with some bad ones.

I've had mine for quite some time, maybe mine are just made better.

Recoil of your 270 WBY I guarantee is less than a rifle shooting a 250 gr bullet 3,000 FPS +

Iron Worker, Mark V's caliber 30-378 and larger are advertised as having muzzle brakes from the factory for quite a number of years. Is yours threaded but not have one?

Mine does have the factory brake,shooting rifle standing up is comfortable,shooting off a bench it thumps ya. I want to develop hand loads so I can shoot long range steel. So now it wears a Terminator T4 muzzle brake ,its amazing how effective it is....Its just some one posted a picture of Leupold labeling saying standard rings are for 300 win mag and less. Rifle came with those rings.Recoil stretched them where it cams into base,scope wiggled like jello. Now I have the right stuff on it. I bought the above brake and a Ken Farrell industries picatinny scope rail on it designed for these big boomers. Its a sweet rifle ,slick short throw action. But I'm either after I shoot this bbl out re-barrel to 338 lupua of sell it now. Any one interested ? Trades possibly

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.