Just a question from someone who can't

epags

Since I live where we cannot have suppressors, I don't have anyone to ask. So, my questions is: Since the design of a suppressor is such that it must get pretty hot, why do users wrap rags around the suppressor? "Cool" factor or camouflage? Since the shooter is shooting long distance, camouflage shouldn't seem to be an issue.
Just askin.

Since I live where we cannot have suppressors, I don't have anyone to ask. So, my questions is: Since the design of a suppressor is such that it must get pretty hot, why do users wrap rags around the suppressor? "Cool" factor or camouflage? Since the shooter is shooting long distance, camouflage shouldn't seem to be an issue.
Just askin.
The heat coming off of the supressor causes a "Mirage" due to the location in front of your scope. The cover helps disapate the heat.

Last edited:
Mirage is the up front obvious answer, but there is more. A good suppressor wrap should allow you to handle the suppressor without getting burnt. If need be, I can spin off my suppressor to shorten my RPR without having to locate a set of gloves. I believe my wrap is made with some find of aramid fiber and works pretty well. YMMV.

Beside the mirage issue, if you are shooting multiple rifles but only have 1 can you can handle it with a cover and move to a different rifle. I personally don't use a cover except for range practice.

Beside the mirage issue, if you are shooting multiple rifles but only have 1 can you can handle it with a cover and move to a different rifle. I personally don't use a cover except for range practice.
I never thought about it, but does the cover change the point of impact much, vs no cover? I hate waiting for the mirage to go away when testing rounds.

But I guess in a way it is. 😅
Jake Gyllenhaal Reaction GIF

🤣

I never thought about it, but does the cover change the point of impact much, vs no cover? I hate waiting for the mirage to go away when testing rounds.
I don't see any difference at all. I lost a cover in the field once and decided I don't need it for hunting. Since then, I just don't use a cover unless shooting steel for practice and that's only if I need to move it to a different rifle. That won't be an issue soon as well as since I have another can in jail and hope to see it soon.

One more reason, I use a cover all the time on my hunting rifles and in a hunting situation you usually aren't shooting enough to worry about mirage. But if I were to drop the rifle, I want some protection for my expensive and hard to get item on the end of my barrel.

So for me, it's mainly for protection even if that wasn't the intended purpose of the product.

One more reason, I use a cover all the time on my hunting rifles and in a hunting situation you usually aren't shooting enough to worry about mirage. But if I were to drop the rifle, I want some protection for my expensive and hard to get item on the end of my barrel.

So for me, it's mainly for protection even if that wasn't the intended purpose of the product.
Don't drop your rifle!!!!

Just askin.
Simple: Heat rises, and causes thermal distortion
In the scope sight picture! Rags and or sleeves on the supressor seem to help reduce the thermal waves.