I have a question about clipped baffles

ShootnMathews

So I have two Form 1 suppressors applied for and I'm hoping they come back approved. I'm still researching things about building suppressors and I ran across some videos that claim clipping the baffles makes the quieter. Anyone have experience with this? Like has anyone made a suppressor with round drilled holes, shot it, then clipped the baffles and shot it and noticed a reduction in report? I notice that many of the suppressors from the store have clipped baffles or some have the first half of the baffles clipped and then round holes for the second half. I'm just tying to get these planned out as best I can and praying my forms get approved.

It's a toss up to my ears--- at the shooters ear I don't hear a big difference BUT I still use ear plugs with my suppressors--- clipping definitely doesn't hurt at all.

I've had freeze plug form 1s, and 60 ° ss and ti baffle form 1s--- radial baffles reportedly are better for subs- 45-60° baffles are supposedly better for supers--- if you clip ( I double clipped on my last build) some guys stagger/offset the clipping, others line them up---- unfortunately, according to the rules- once you make it, you aren't supposed to change the baffles --- you could further machine it but "new" baffles are supposedly a no-no (that is if someone is actually watching)

It's kind of a trial and error after doing much research online to see what has worked for others-- baffle spacing seems to be often debated too--- in the end-- I'm betting the differences only come out to a few dB

They still all seem to work well and are very close to factory offerings-- they cost a lot less, involve many hours of labor/macine work-- but in the end do not sell well if you ever plan on re-selling.

Last edited:
It's a toss up to my ears--- at the shooters ear I don't hear a big difference BUT I still use ear plugs with my suppressors--- clipping definitely doesn't hurt at all.

I've had freeze plug form 1s, and 60 ° ss and ti baffle form 1s--- radial baffles reportedly are better for subs- 45-60° baffles are supposedly better for supers--- if you clip ( I double clipped on my last build) some guys stagger/offset the clipping, others line them up---- unfortunately, according to the rules- once you make it, you aren't supposed to change the baffles --- you could further machine it but "new" baffles are supposedly a no-no (that is if someone is actually watching)

It's kind of a trial and error after doing much research online to see what has worked for others-- baffle spacing seems to be often debated too--- in the end-- I'm betting the differences only come out to a few dB

They still all seem to work well and are very close to factory offerings-- they cost a lot less, involve many hours of labor/macine work-- but in the end do not sell well if you ever plan on re-selling.
So if I read that right if something happens and the suppressor needs repaired you can't legally do it. Correct? So then what you have the ATF destroy it and refund your stamp? Just curious here how it works.

Also what about when you are making it for the first time and you screw up a baffle. Are you not allowed to make a new one? And how do they draw that line? If you assemble it and fire a shot through it is that the line of no return in making a new baffle or other adjustments? Or maybe when you put the serial numbers on it? I realize you may not know these answers but maybe you will. Idk. Thanks for the help

You will never get a refund on a stamp

I don't know when the "point of no return" is, but technically if you make a baffle, that is part of the suppressor--' it's done and can't be replaced/repaired.

Comercial Manufacturers can repair if you send it back, I don't understand why non comercial manufacturers (form 1's) can't do repairs/replacements--- maybe it's in the interpretation, "any part of a suppressor" is technically a suppressor in and of its self!? According to the definition.

If you want to brave the atf interpretation-- you can ask them for clarification, or you can interpret for yourself-- but IF ( highly doubtful) you were ever inspected, and you have extra baffles or end caps, or tubes-- you would be in violation of the gca

Some say its better to ask for forgiveness than permission--- that's on the manufacturer

I don't know when the "point of no return" is, but technically if you make a baffle, that is part of the suppressor--' it's done and can't be replaced/repaired.

Comercial Manufacturers can repair if you send it back, I don't understand why non comercial manufacturers (form 1's) can't do repairs/replacements--- maybe it's in the interpretation, "any part of a suppressor" is technically a suppressor in and of its self!? According to the definition.

If you want to brave the atf interpretation-- you can ask them for clarification, or you can interpret for yourself-- but IF ( highly doubtful) you were ever inspected, and you have extra baffles or end caps, or tubes-- you would be in violation of the gca

Some say its better to ask for forgiveness than permission--- that's on the manufacturer
I really appreciate you insight and knowledge on the subject and I apologize for playing 100 questions but I'm new to the suppressor game.

You said any extra baffles or or endcaps can be a problem but do you know how that works with Form4 suppressors? Like my dealer that I just bought a silencer co omega300 and filed for said that I can buy different endcaps for different calibers and I can use it with the brake style tip or a solid endcap. The way he explained it I can have like a whole kit of pieces for it to set it up for different rifles. So how does that work and stay legal?

Our experiences with every ATF agent we came in contact with is that they were very helpful and easy to get along with. There is a Central Office for the ATF in Atlanta, been there several times and have our very own ATF Senior Industry Operations Investigator assigned to us for our FFL.
Really nice person. He has been to our Home and Business several times. Had many emails back and forth on information.
Now all the encounters we have had were for "Positive" reasons. I would not want to be on the other end if they thought you did something outside their rules. They can and will make your life a living nightmare. They don't care about asking for "Forgiveness". There is no second chances or first chances. They have that Badge and POWER and they think they have that Power above everyone else. Go 100% by their rules and if you don't know-ask before doing anything.

I really appreciate you insight and knowledge on the subject and I apologize for playing 100 questions but I'm new to the suppressor game.

You said any extra baffles or or endcaps can be a problem but do you know how that works with Form4 suppressors? Like my dealer that I just bought a silencer co omega300 and filed for said that I can buy different endcaps for different calibers and I can use it with the brake style tip or a solid endcap. The way he explained it I can have like a whole kit of pieces for it to set it up for different rifles. So how does that work and stay legal?
As far as I've heard, comercial manus can offer spare parts-- as a fom 1 manu you can not

Our experiences with every ATF agent we came in contact with is that they were very helpful and easy to get along with. There is a Central Office for the ATF in Atlanta, been there several times and have our very own ATF Senior Industry Operations Investigator assigned to us for our FFL.
Really nice person. He has been to our Home and Business several times. Had many emails back and forth on information.
Now all the encounters we have had were for "Positive" reasons. I would not want to be on the other end if they thought you did something outside their rules. They can and will make your life a living nightmare. They don't care about asking for "Forgiveness". There is no second chances or first chances. They have that Badge and POWER and they think they have that Power above everyone else. Go 100% by their rules and if you don't know-ask before doing anything.
Problem is, the rules are convoluted --- for a form 1 manu you are guessing, and the atf agents have the power of interpretation of the rules over you--- if the rules were black and white- cut and dry it would be much easier--- if yiu can post an actual law/rule that tells the form 1 manu exactly what is legal and not I'd be thankful and impressed

Problem is, the rules are convoluted --- for a form 1 manu you are guessing, and the atf agents have the power of interpretation of the rules over you--- if the rules were black and white- cut and dry it would be much easier--- if yiu can post an actual law/rule that tells the form 1 manu exactly what is legal and not I'd be thankful and impressed
I personally would never post anything with my interpretation of any ATF Reg/Rule for someone else to go by. When I ask our ATF Senior Industry Operations Investigator assigned to us for our FFL, I do it by email so I have documentation on what I was advised of. I would suggest that anyone having questions they should go directly to the ATF for their answers.
AND Yes I know reading the regulations can be very confusing so if you do contact the ATF do it by email or letter so you have documentation of what they told you.

Recent Posts