Joined the 1 mile club yesterday!

My then 13 yr old grandson...No shooting course, just some very good help from his dad and a couple of his long range shooting buddies (always willing to help young shooters)! 338 Lapua his dad built on a Savage 110 action.

Attachments

• Braden one mile 338 Lapua.jpg
    Braden one mile 338 Lapua.jpg
    803.2 KB · Views: 41
Thank You Capt. Dru and Thank You X !!!! Great info!!!I saw a guy on U tube shooting both a Barrett and a Ruger Precision at one mile. He hit 5 out of 10 with the Ruger, and 4 out of 10 with the Barrett. He said his usual success at a mile is 50% , with either rifle, with factory Hornady ammo. I guess that's considered very good. Much to learn!!!!

I really need to get a kestrel, but don't know which one to get. Don't know if I really need the elite ballistics one.
My opinion is you definitely need a Kestrel. I purchased the basic 5700 and then ended up buying the upgrade to the Elite. My advice is just go ahead and get the Elite. I'm using the Applied Ballistics but I hear the Hornady is good also.
Congrats on your accomplishment!

I do realize that I am female as well as Blonde, however when did 1500 yards become a mile? When I went to school a mile was 5,280 feet or 1760 yards? Last time I checked the bureau of standards a mile is still 5280 feet.
Please don't get me wrong, that is some fantastic shooting 😊 just desiring some clarification on the distance.;)
Teri, please re-read my post. It will provide you with the clarification that you require.

Last edited:
I need help with this. I just don't understand how the handheld Kestrel can be useful when shooting extended ranges. If the shooter knows the Caliber, the Load, the Velocity and the B C of the projectile, and the altitude and the Temp and you know the true distance to the target, and that is all added to his or her JBM or some other Ballistic Program, then you know the velocity and drop of your bullet from your muzzle to the target. The missing part, as I understand it, is the wind. So I do not yet get how holding a meter in your hand at the bench, tells you amount you need to hold left or right for the wind condition at a target a mile away. The only two times I shot 1000 and 1200 yards, someone familiar with the range was glassing the target ,and telling me how many min to hold to compensate for the wind. I thought they were looking at the tall grass and trees moving at or near the target . So obviously I do yet understand why the kestrel is needed?? Any advice is GREATLY appreciated. A sincere Thank You!!

I need help with this. I just don't understand how the handheld Kestrel can be useful when shooting extended ranges. If the shooter knows the Caliber, the Load, the Velocity and the B C of the projectile, and the altitude and the Temp and you know the true distance to the target, and that is all added to his or her JBM or some other Ballistic Program, then you know the velocity and drop of your bullet from your muzzle to the target. The missing part, as I understand it, is the wind. So I do not yet get how holding a meter in your hand at the bench, tells you amount you need to hold left or right for the wind condition at a target a mile away. The only two times I shot 1000 and 1200 yards, someone familiar with the range was glassing the target ,and telling me how many min to hold to compensate for the wind. I thought they were looking at the tall grass and trees moving at or near the target . So obviously I do yet understand why the kestrel is needed?? Any advice is GREATLY appreciated. A sincere Thank You!!
It really helps you estimate the wind by reading it at your location. As well, it can help you assess wind direction.

You can look at vegetation movement and mirage as well (and should), but the kestrel will 'calibrate' your eye. Wind shifts due to terrain features has to be read/interpreted based on experience and what you're seeing. Practice estimating the wind speed and direction and use your kestrel to confirm. You will quickly get better at reading the wind.

Think of it this way, a Kestrel tells you what the actual wind is at your shooting location. It's not an estimate, it's a direct measurement. Everything else you are inputting for wind is an estimate from you to the target. However, if you are using a separate ballistic calculator/range finder you only need a basic kestrel, not an Elite. I'm buying a Kestrel myself, have used them at shooting courses a couple of times and they are very useful. Some people like the Elite to do their ballistic calculations on their kestrel.

I prefer using my iPhone and the Revic or 4 DOF app or a combined rangefinder with onboard ballistics calculator like the BR4.

Thank You vey Much Mr. Garrett, You're explanation answered all my questions. I really appreciate you taking the time!! I see I need one of these. Thanks again, Lenny

My wife bought me a Long range course for my birthday in March and yesterday was the class with Adam at North East Texas Tactical in Terrell, TX. I really never shot passed 500yds before, so I was pretty excited. I was also nervous because I did not know how my rifle, reloads and myself would perform passed 500yds.
We had class in the morning going over the basic concepts for shooting at LR and how to use the Applied Ballistics App. Around lunch we broke out our rifles, to go over them and our setup.
We began shooting at 100 to make sure our rifles were zeroed. We then jumped to 300 and started making our way down range out to 1500yds in 100yd increments. I had 1st round hits to 900. All center mass. I missed the 1000yd target but made the adjustment for another center mass hit on the second round. 1100-1400 were first round hits. 1500 I missed left, made the adjustment and hit it on the second round.
Then it was on to the mile target. The app called for 67.5 moa of elevation and 4.5 moa of windage. I ran out of elevation on my turret. It only went to 50moa, so I made up the difference by using my reticle. It was a little difficult for me, since I had to aim in the blank quadrant of the reticle. It took my 3 tries before I connected on the 4th. Needless to say I was pretty stoked! Felt good knowing that my equipment, reloads and myself were capable of accomplishing this. Sorry for the long post, but I am still excited about it.

Rifle and load info:
Rem 700 with 27" Bartlein in 6.5 PRC
NF SHV 5-20x56 with MOAR reticle
Harris bipod with rear bag
156 Bergers
ADG brass
Fed 210M
56.3gr H1000
2980fps
SD 6 ES 16
View attachment 454927
Gefeliciteerd!

My wife bought me a Long range course for my birthday in March and yesterday was the class with Adam at North East Texas Tactical in Terrell, TX. I really never shot passed 500yds before, so I was pretty excited. I was also nervous because I did not know how my rifle, reloads and myself would perform passed 500yds.
We had class in the morning going over the basic concepts for shooting at LR and how to use the Applied Ballistics App. Around lunch we broke out our rifles, to go over them and our setup.
We began shooting at 100 to make sure our rifles were zeroed. We then jumped to 300 and started making our way down range out to 1500yds in 100yd increments. I had 1st round hits to 900. All center mass. I missed the 1000yd target but made the adjustment for another center mass hit on the second round. 1100-1400 were first round hits. 1500 I missed left, made the adjustment and hit it on the second round.
Then it was on to the mile target. The app called for 67.5 moa of elevation and 4.5 moa of windage. I ran out of elevation on my turret. It only went to 50moa, so I made up the difference by using my reticle. It was a little difficult for me, since I had to aim in the blank quadrant of the reticle. It took my 3 tries before I connected on the 4th. Needless to say I was pretty stoked! Felt good knowing that my equipment, reloads and myself were capable of accomplishing this. Sorry for the long post, but I am still excited about it.

Rifle and load info:
156 Bergers
ADG brass
Fed 210M
56.3gr H1000
2980fps
SD 6 ES 16
View attachment 454927
Congratulations and kudos to your wife. Also, that's a great rig for LR shooting, you definitely put in the work and prep to get the most out of your seminar.
Well done!

Rifle and load info:
156 Bergers
ADG brass
Fed 210M
56.3gr H1000
2980fps
SD 6 ES 16
View attachment 454927
Congratulations