Gunwerks LRU 1 and 2

kgarrett

Morning everyone,

I attended LRU 1 and 2 recently at Gunwerks home facility in Cody and had a great time. The instructors Brian and Ian were fantastic and my classmates were a very good people to spend a few days with. The class was a nice mix of classroom and shooting sessions. We used Gunwerks Magnus with Leupold Mark 5 5-25 in 6.5 CM, Revic spotters, Revic br4 rangefinders and Gunwerks suppressors. We even had a chance to check out the new Revic Bino's. They did a really good at explaining what works and why. Even better, they prioritize things so that you could understand what the most important factors are in making a shot. I think everyone came out of the class a better shooter and hunter. The facilities were excellent, the staff and the equipment top notch, and the experience well worth it. The spotter/shooter drill working with a partner to make hits on game size steel targets at various distances/directions and wind was probably my favorite.

I also did a combined Gunwerks rifle class/antelope hunt last August at the NRA Whittington Centre in NM last year and had an excellent time and learned a lot there as well. Had the pleasure of meeting Aaron at that one and spending some time chatting with him over bbq at the ranch where the hunt was. Very nice guy and has a passion for hunting, understanding how things work (and what doesn't work), and innovation that comes through.

I've had a smattering of Gunwerks products over the years and bought my first Gunwerks rifle - a Nexus over the winter. I highly recommend you take one of their courses if it fits your time and budget. I have done marksmanship, long range shooting courses, and pistol and carbine courses with other groups and instructors so have a reasonable base to compare them too. I would describe them as top notch and well worth the time and money. I'm hoping to do LRU3 at some point in the future and will keep practicing what I've learned here at home.

IMO, nothing will improve your ability to make clean kills faster than quality instruction. Gunwerks is definitely a top option. Happy to answer any questions in this thread or by PM.

Completed LRU 1 and 2 last month in Cody. Good people and great mixture of class time and range work. Highly recommend and I hope to take my adult son next summer. Had the opportunity to work with the new Revic scope as well as get a hands on with the range finding bino that they launched the week I was there.

Well, I'm signed up for LRU3 and positional shooting skills in late June. Going to wring out my GW Nexus in 300 PRC. Maybe will see some of you there!

Lots of great instructors out there - this one's driving distance for me so it's easier to bring my own rifle from Canada.

Rob Furlong's marksmanship academy here in Alberta is good as well. Haven't done their precision or long range courses yet, but have done pistol, carbine, and shotgun which were all good and taught by instructors with relevant teaching experience. Their focus seems to be more on PRS, ELR, and the tactical crowd rather than long range hunting though hence the additional trip to Wyoming (which is a nice drive too :)

I took the L1 course in Cody WY in may 2023.

My comments are similar to the OP. I do highly recommend it. The instructors are excellent.

I did not understand that I could sign up for several courses the same week. I will do that the next time.

Morning everyone,

I attended LRU 1 and 2 recently at Gunwerks home facility in Cody and had a great time. The instructors Brian and Ian were fantastic and my classmates were a very good people to spend a few days with. The class was a nice mix of classroom and shooting sessions. We used Gunwerks Magnus with Leupold Mark 5 5-25 in 6.5 CM, Revic spotters, Revic br4 rangefinders and Gunwerks suppressors. We even had a chance to check out the new Revic Bino's. They did a really good at explaining what works and why. Even better, they prioritize things so that you could understand what the most important factors are in making a shot. I think everyone came out of the class a better shooter and hunter. The facilities were excellent, the staff and the equipment top notch, and the experience well worth it. The spotter/shooter drill working with a partner to make hits on game size steel targets at various distances/directions and wind was probably my favorite.

I also did a combined Gunwerks rifle class/antelope hunt last August at the NRA Whittington Centre in NM last year and had an excellent time and learned a lot there as well. Had the pleasure of meeting Aaron at that one and spending some time chatting with him over bbq at the ranch where the hunt was. Very nice guy and has a passion for hunting, understanding how things work (and what doesn't work), and innovation that comes through.

I've had a smattering of Gunwerks products over the years and bought my first Gunwerks rifle - a Nexus over the winter. I highly recommend you take one of their courses if it fits your time and budget. I have done marksmanship, long range shooting courses, and pistol and carbine courses with other groups and instructors so have a reasonable base to compare them too. I would describe them as top notch and well worth the time and money. I'm hoping to do LRU3 at some point in the future and will keep practicing what I've learned here at home.

IMO, nothing will improve your ability to make clean kills faster than quality instruction. Gunwerks is definitely a top option. Happy to answer any questions in this thread or by PM.
I believe I was in that LRU1 class with you, if you're the one that shocked me when you mentioned you couldn't own a suppressor up North (Not too many Canucks in those classes). I absolutely concur with your assessment. Hope all is well!

PS - Two days later I went to Gunwerks and bought a Workman in 300PRC. They took a lot of the family fortune that week.

Glad you Enjoyed it Good company, I use to teach for them.
Top,
Brian and Ian impressed me with how articulate they were, for a couple of Marines. You must have worked with one or both of them at some point, and helped them with their language/presentation skills. It was an excellent class and worth every dime. Certainly better than small arms training I received in the USAF over the years.

Jeff Konegni
1SGT (Ret)
USAF

I believe I was in that LRU1 class with you, if you're the one that shocked me when you mentioned you couldn't own a suppressor up North (Not too many Canucks in those classes). I absolutely concur with your assessment. Hope all is well!

PS - Two days later I went to Gunwerks and bought a Workman in 300PRC. They took a lot of the family fortune that week.
Yep, that was a good group of people. How's your Werkman treating you?

Yep, that was a good group of people. How's your Werkman treating you?
I had to test the Gunwerks claim of 1000yds out of the box. It Werked Man! (Couldn't resist). 10 inch steel at 1,000, first shot. Love that thing. Although, the Revic Werkman scope is set-up to only dial to about 1200yds and it stops. Seems to me you ought to be able to spin it a couple more times. It's a one mile round in a one mile rifle, give me a one mile scope.

Cheers!

Jeff