JLKs, Bergers, A-Maxs, & Various Wildcats

300magman

I am looking for a few good and Available .224 bullets to try at 1000 yards. I want to push them at 22-243 velocities, but it seems there is a very limited selection of bullets that are suited for this. The 75gr & 80gr Amax immediately came to mind, but I see various sources stating that they may not survive velocities in the 3400fps range…Are berger hunting bullets any tougher?

There are also the small bullet makers like JLK (which I hear is nearly identical to Berger…is that true?) Also are any of these small makers currently putting out a relatively reliable supply of bullets that I may want to try?

I also have a question about the 30 caliber A-Max … What velicities can the 208gr version withstand? … and
Is there any truth to the rumor of a new Berger (heavier than the current 210gr) or Hornady 225gr A-max (which would presumably have a higher BC than the current 225gr hpbt)

I am looking for a few good and Available .224 bullets to try at 1000 yards. I want to push them at 22-243 velocities, but it seems there is a very limited selection of bullets that are suited for this. The 75gr & 80gr Amax immediately came to mind, but I see various sources stating that they may not survive velocities in the 3400fps range…Are berger hunting bullets any tougher?

There are also the small bullet makers like JLK (which I hear is nearly identical to Berger…is that true?) Also are any of these small makers currently putting out a relatively reliable supply of bullets that I may want to try?

I also have a question about the 30 caliber A-Max … What velicities can the 208gr version withstand? … and
Is there any truth to the rumor of a new Berger (heavier than the current 210gr) or Hornady 225gr A-max (which would presumably have a higher BC than the current 225gr hpbt)

im shooting the 225 grn hornadys in a 300 win mag. the shoot great

There is no barrel on the 22 yet, once I decide on a projectile I will have one made with a twist to suit it.

Thanks for the feedback so far everyone . . . but has anyone tried the 208Amax past 3300?

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts