JLK to make .338 bullets?

sewwhat89

"I sent the new owner an email. I was asking him what it would take for him to get spun up on making some 338 bullets.

If enough people are interested to pitch in so he can get the dies and everything maybe he will start to make them.

I have talked to Walt Berger and he just isnt interested in making any 338."

This is a quote from a fellow LRH. If you are interested, let the new owner know. You may just get what you ask for!

From a e-mail with the new owner of jlk bullets Steve(swampy)

First, as you have already noted, it's a big investment to make dies for a new bullet. I'd almost have to have a written contract from a group or individual guaranteeing a minimum number of bullets ordered per annum. It might also be necessary to have some "up front" money against the first few orders in order to get the dies made. BTW, latest word from Nieme is that there is a 6-8 month lag time for die orders......

Second, and this is the Big One..... nobody offers .338
jackets. J4 only makes them up to .308. Sierra makes jackets for the
.338 obviously, but Sierra only sells it's jackets through third party
jobbers, and only in HUGE minimum orders. With another hand in the till,
the price for Sierra jackets are off the board in comparison to J4. I
don't use Sierra jackets now (and neither do most small bullet makers) because they are too expensive to use without raising my prices up beyond what the market will bear.
Another thing..... if you have problems with Sierra's .338 bullets, you'd not get much better quality if a small maker like me had to use their jackets. A bullet can only be as good as the jacket you use to make it

I dont think we will see a 338 jlk bullet.

d-a

That's why I like to deal w/Richard!!! As it is dealing w/any custom bullet maker, it will take time to get your bullets. Might also want to order enough to last the life of the bbl. Order some of his .338" bullets, be patient and I think you will be pleased.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.