Helping to make posts easier to read and view

ss7mm

Recently I've noticed that there is quite a divergence in the type of posts we get on LRH and how they are formatted, and especially if they contain pictures. Please note that there are some things that you can do to make your post more visually appealing and much easier to read for all of us.

Paragraphs and spacing text for easier reading:

Notice the two examples below and see which one you think is easier to read, and remember, if it's easier to read our members and site viewers are more likely to read the post and especially if it's a long one.

EXAMPLE 1

When posting a picture on long range hunting you first need to have the picture saved somewhere on your hard drive. You also need to know the location of this picture so you can easily go to it when transferring it to a hosting site.

Next you need to sign up for a hosting site. This is a site on the web that will host or store your picture for future viewing. I use Photobucket. It's easy to sign up, you just follow the instructions and you will then have an account and will have a screen where you can see all of the pictures you have uploaded to Photobucket. Other hosting sites work similarly but the end result is still the same.

Remember that very large pictures tend to cause problems with people that will be viewing what you have posted. Some sites will have limitations as to picture size allowed. You know how it can be irritating to have to scroll left and right because someone has posted a picture that is too large. You can resize your pictures and save them on your hard drive before uploading them to Photobucket or any other hosting site. On long range hunting, keep your images under 100K and 600 pixels wide.

One program that is very easy to use for resizing pictures is InfranView. You can find it here: IrfanView - Official Homepage - one of the most popular viewers worldwide . There are other similar programs or Windows power tools that do the same thing. Just experiment and you will find the size that works best. You will be able to see the results of your picture sizing when you preview your picture and thread later on. If it's too big in the preview you can easily resize it on your hard drive and the upload the resized version. Now, on to the good stuff.

EXAMPLE 2

When posting a picture on long range hunting you first need to have the picture saved somewhere on your hard drive. You also need to know the location of this picture so you can easily go to it when transferring it to a hosting site. Next you need to sign up for a hosting site. This is a site on the web that will host or store your picture for future viewing. I use Photobucket. It's easy to sign up, you just follow the instructions and you will then have an account and will have a screen where you can see all of the pictures you have uploaded to Photobucket. Other hosting sites work similarly but the end result is still the same. Remember that very large pictures tend to cause problems with people that will be viewing what you have posted. Some sites will have limitations as to picture size allowed. You know how it can be irritating to have to scroll left and right because someone has posted a picture that is too large. You can resize your pictures and save them on your hard drive before uploading them to Photobucket or any other hosting site. On long range hunting, keep your images under 100K and 600 pixels wide. One program that is very easy to use for resizing pictures is InfranView. You can find it here: IrfanView - Official Homepage - one of the most popular viewers worldwide . There are other similar programs or Windows power tools that do the same thing. Just experiment and you will find the size that works best. You will be able to see the results of your picture sizing when you preview your picture and thread later on. If it's too big in the preview you can easily resize it on your hard drive and the upload the resized version. Now on to the good stuff.

Don't you agree that the properly spaced out example is much easier to read. Note that it's easy to lose your place when reading a long post that is all in one paragraph.

Pictures and sizing for easy viewing:

Now, in regards to pictures and their different sizes, you will notice in some threads that you see on our site the pictures are way to big and you have to scroll left and right to read the post and see the pictures. You will also notice that some pictures are way too small and you can't see much detail.

There are little programs out there that you can use to resize your pictures. One of them is mentioned in the examples above. Also, if you use Photobucket, they have an edit function on their site that allows you to resize your pictures.

Just remember that if you have a large picture hosted somewhere and you resize it a little smaller for posting that it will still be a very clear picture. If you start by hosting a very small picture and then try and make it bigger for posting, the picture will tend to become grainier and not so clear. It's better to size a big picture down than to size a very small picture up. The end result is much better.

You will find that usually, if your pictures are bigger than 800x600, a lot of people with have problems viewing them because they are too big for their screen.

Please experiment with your picture sizes and see what looks best as you preview your post before submitting it to the size to be viewed by all of us. You can either do the size experiment in the preview panel when posting or you can use the "Test" forum and play around there. You can find the "Test" forum under the main forum listing of "Administration". The test forum is a spot to play around and try different things.

Using "Quote" feature for easier understanding:

When a thread contains a lot of posts, and especially if it goes to multiple pages, you will sometimes find a post, or posts, that refer to something someone said previously but they make no mention of who they are referring to. This can get very confusing at times and I've even seen it end up being a big misunderstanding by someone that gets offended.

If you are going to refer to someone's previous statement in another post, please try to use the "Quote" feature. That way, when you say something in reference to what someone else said, the quote of the other person's words are right there and we all know what you meant and who you are referring to.

Making the typed word easier to understand:

Remember that when you type something in a post on the web you may know your feeling and how you mean for it to come across but the rest of us may have a hard time deciding your true emphasis and feeling.

Choosing your words carefully to make it clear what you meant helps a lot. Also remember that you can insert "smilies" in strategic spots to make your meaning clear to all of us.

It's possible, and I've seen it happen many times, that you meant something as a joke or tongue in cheek, but it came across to the rest of us as entirely different in context and meaning. Had you placed a "smilie" or two in the right spots, or added some words to indicate the joke idea, we would have better been able to understand what you really meant.

None of this is meant to say that you have to do any of the above, it's simply an observation based on time and experience, that we can all make our viewing and reading experience on Long Range Hunting far more enjoyable and entertaining.

And one final thing that would make answering questions easier for a lot of us. Please put some info in your profile that helps people at least know what state you live in. You may not want to put the city or too much info but if you at least include the state then if you answer a question, and the state would help with the answer, the members can answer the question much easier.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Somehow I am feeling a little guilty:) Maybe I should start getting my secretary to start proofing and formatting my gibberish. Only problm is they would then know I am not locked in my office working:D

I cant make myself pay for your silence.....besides some people from some of the other forums that I visit have already ratted me out.......thank goodness I am the BOSS:)

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.