Its finally time!!!

Fiftydriver

Official LRH Sponsor
Well, yesterday the guy in the brown suit dropped off a heavy skinny long package for me at the shop and I couldn't wait to get a look at what was inside.

Sure enough after a minute of two I was holding a 34" stainless, fluted Lilja barrel blank of .338" bore with a 10" twist. IT is a straight cylinder 1.350" diameter barrel.

I now have all the componants to build my rifle. Now I just have to get my customers jobs finished so that I can build my new extreme range hammer.

The other componants of the rifle are a printed M700 action which I have already opened the bolt face up for the 338 Kahn round and installed a Tubbs Sako style extractor.

The action has also been converted to single shot with the permanent installation of a solid floor plate which matches the action perfectly. If I were using the action to bed on this would dramatically increase the bedding area of the 700 action.

THe stock is a Tooley 1000 yard BR in Carolina Sunset Flame(Marbled starting at the forend, blue, then violet and then very deep purple on the butt stock.

I will be using a 10" barrel bedding V-block of my own design.

The round itself, the 338 Kahn is basically a 338-378 Wby with a conventional 35 degree shoulder which has been moved slightly forward.

For starters I will use a Burris one piece base with a set of Burris Signature 30mm rings to carry the 6-24 Burris Black Diamond for the time being. This scope has taken my 50 BMG well past 1000 yards accurately so it will do fine until I get a Nightforce in for next season.

Anyway, from talking with Dan Lilja who uses teh standard 338-378 with the 300 gr SIerra MK bullets, we think I will be getting in the 3100-3150 fps range with max loads. In all honestly anything from 3050 to 3100 fps will be fine with me as long as the accuracy is there.

Well, I hope to get started on this rifle this weekend perhaps. When I get her finished I will report on her performance.

Good Shooting!!

Fiftydriver,
Sounds like you have the makings for something impressive! Don't forget those pics when you get it built! Good shootin'

i want to see that stock!!

pics???

JB
grin.gif

I will be taking photos as the work progresses. I do not have a digital camera but perhaps my brother would be willing to let me use his for a bit.

How do you go about getting a picture on a post. Sorry, great with building rifles, a little weak using the computer.

Thanks, will get some photos up here as soon as I can.

Had a couple more jobs come in for customers so I had to hold off a little on the 338 Kahn.

I plan on getting on it here by the end of the week or this weekend possibly.

Will take photos as I go and get them to you.

Kirby Allen(50)

So

Whatta do I gotta do to get you to build me something...
smile.gif
Can't find anybody I trust in Michigan to do any work for me on my rifles

Joe

Lablover,

Well, I think its pretty easy really.

Tell me what your goals for you rifle project are, I will give you my recommendations on componants and other specifics and then we figure out the fine details.

You either then ship me the componants you have or I order in the componants giving you as good a price as I can as a dealer.

I feel I should get paid for my smithing work for my customers, not for buying the componants such as actions, barrels and stocks.

Let me know what your thinking of doing, I would be very happy to build you something special.

I also take alot of pride in my turn around time, almost as much as my quality of work. One of the main reasons I got into the business is because I was sick of waiting a year at least for a rifle project to get completed.

Once all the parts get here, I generally get a rifle shipped off to its owner in two weeks, sometimes it can take three but not very often.

Let me know what your thinking about doing and we can talks it over.

Here is my E-Mail address:

[email protected]

Good Shooting!!!

Kirby Allen(50)
Allen Precision Shooting

To all,

Well, I finally got several customer rifle projects finished and shipped out the door and was able to spend a little time with my 338 Kahn project.

I chambered the barrel and turned it around in the lathe to crown it and found my smallest .338 pilot bushing was just a bit snug. I'm sure it was on teh chambering as well but driven by the tailstock I could not feel any reisitance except just a faint resistance when the pilot rode onto the lands.

Anyway, it was alittle tight on the muzzle end, I probably coul dhave made it work but it is not worth the risk to rub the rifling at the muzzle, not a good plan. So I called JGS and ordered a custom bushing which should work fine.

Anyway, I was just dying to test fire this hog just as the barreled action and it wouldn't hurt the the muzzle had a less then match grade crown so I torqued the action on and ran out to test two rounds loaded with the cheap 200 gr Speer SP over 113 gr H-1000.

When I test fire a rifle after machining, I just hold the bare barrel with my left hand and trip the trigger with my right hand.

With the 15 lb weight of the barreled action, this big girl had some momentum but was a very heavy, SLOW push, really pretty comfortable, no worse then any standard magnum in a sporter barrel.

Anyway, the cases come out looking pretty impressive, beautiful 35 degree shoulder pushed just a little farther forward then the factoy 338-378 Wby round. Very happy with the tet fire.

Firing pin indent perfectly centered, run outs in the sub 0.0002" range, no case stretching. It a good start. From the looks of the throat line in the barrel, this thing should really shoot.

Now I just have to wait to get that custom bushing so I can crown it.

Next I will build the 10" barrel bedding V-Block and get the McMillan stock machined to accept it.

Problem is that I had more customers come in with rifles to build and they always coem first, as it should be.

Can't complain about beign busy but I really want to get the big girl up and running.

My wife drew an antelope tag this fall so perhaps she will want to tickle the trigger on a goat at 1000 yards. Hope so!!

Anyway, I will get some pics here soon, just haven't had much of a chance.

Kirby Allen(50)

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.