It came together but need a new Range Finder

Josh06

I've been slowly working toward longer range hunting. Practicing on steel, tinkering with rifles and finally decided to put together a custom. It's a zermatt origin, x-caliber 280ai barrel, grayboe stock, leupold vx-5 3-15. I think all these I have chose after reading about on this forum. Well, this weekend I had my rifle with me and loaded up my gong in the back of the truck to practice shooting after checking hog traps. My route through the lease to check traps takes me by a big wheat field and today there happened to be a sounder of hogs on the other side of it. I stop the truck take a look at them through the binos and they are pretty content and not really moving. So I start frantically getting everything ready before they decide to move, get the rifle out, ammo out, range finder, tripod, app on my phone opened and get everything set up. Nothing was ready to go, it was all packed away for practice later because I wasn't really expecting to see anything. Got it all set up, range finder would not pick up the hogs but was able to get it to pick up an insulator on a power line that was just over them. The power line was at 327 yards (not far for most of you but my furthest kill prior was 250 and sitting in a blind with known distances). App said 3.84 MOA so dialed the scope, picked a hog and settled in right between the shoulder and ear and let it fly and hog dropped on the spot. Everything was great except the range finder (cabelas instinct 1600). Load was a 162 eld-x at 2880.

If you've read this far, what is a good moderately price range finder that will range on fur/hair out to say 500-600 yards reliably?

Attachments

• IMG_1834.jpg
    IMG_1834.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 89
Vortex razor 4000. Best range finder for the price point. Picks up deer/ elk at 1k+ in flat country, objects much further

Want cheap that works look at TideWe. Around $100 and Will compete with my Sig 5K out to 1200 yards . range only. Nothing else! Of course made in china. But it works .
That sounds like a good one to mount coaxial with a spotting scope. Do they make different models or just the one I see on Amazon for $90? I use the Vortex Razor 4000 but have been looking for one to pair with my spotting scope. Might be just the ticket...

I've been slowly working toward longer range hunting. Practicing on steel, tinkering with rifles and finally decided to put together a custom. It's a zermatt origin, x-caliber 280ai barrel, grayboe stock, leupold vx-5 3-15. I think all these I have chose after reading about on this forum. Well, this weekend I had my rifle with me and loaded up my gong in the back of the truck to practice shooting after checking hog traps. My route through the lease to check traps takes me by a big wheat field and today there happened to be a sounder of hogs on the other side of it. I stop the truck take a look at them through the binos and they are pretty content and not really moving. So I start frantically getting everything ready before they decide to move, get the rifle out, ammo out, range finder, tripod, app on my phone opened and get everything set up. Nothing was ready to go, it was all packed away for practice later because I wasn't really expecting to see anything. Got it all set up, range finder would not pick up the hogs but was able to get it to pick up an insulator on a power line that was just over them. The power line was at 327 yards (not far for most of you but my furthest kill prior was 250 and sitting in a blind with known distances). App said 3.84 MOA so dialed the scope, picked a hog and settled in right between the shoulder and ear and let it fly and hog dropped on the spot. Everything was great except the range finder (cabelas instinct 1600). Load was a 162 eld-x at 2880.

If you've read this far, what is a good moderately price range finder that will range on fur/hair out to say 500-600 yards reliably?
Vortx fury 5000 rangefinding binoculars with applied ballistics only carry one piece of equipment!

I've had Leica 1200 and sig 2200 and neither one would range animals on flat Ground past about 400. Both work well across crayons with something big to reflect off of. The vortex razor does it easier. Maybe the newer sigs and Leica are better but that was not my experience. The vortex fury 5000 range awesome, wish the glass was better quality or I would have bought them