Is this Remington type rifle getting any good reviews?

Snake Plysken1

It's the factory VTR rifle, with the triangular barrel with slots at the end for muzzle brake. Was just on the Remington site, and came across that rifle. I remember seeing the VTR awhile back, and since it's still in production, is there any positive feedback on this rifle? Anyone here own one? Personally, I've never seen anyone with one at the local ranges, and have her heard of anyone on here talk about the VTR.

Trying to decide on a new varmint/predator rig. I already have a 22-250 in a Tikka, but it has the stainless bull barrel on it, and is too heavy for field use. I'm going to make that a designated target rifle, and am looking for one for the field.

I don't know about Rem. VTR, the Ruger American Predator or Savage model 11 Trophy Hunter Predator are both accurate rifles.

It's the factory VTR rifle, with the triangular barrel with slots at the end for muzzle brake. Was just on the Remington site, and came across that rifle. I remember seeing the VTR awhile back, and since it's still in production, is there any positive feedback on this rifle? Anyone here own one? Personally, I've never seen anyone with one at the local ranges, and have her heard of anyone on here talk about the VTR.

Trying to decide on a new varmint/predator rig. I already have a 22-250 in a Tikka, but it has the stainless bull barrel on it, and is too heavy for field use. I'm going to make that a designated target rifle, and am looking for one for the field.

I have heard mostly good things about the VRT. My brother in law has one and loves it. He is impressed with the accuracy of his With factory loads.

When they first came out, I didn't think much of the triangle design of the barrel but from what I can see it didn't hurt accuracy and was just a different form of fluting.

At least they used a Varmint weight barrel and fluted it to lower the weight some.

Just what I know about the VTR (Very little)

J E CUSTOM

Gimmick IMHO.
What scares me is we spend a lot of time and do quickload sims to determine barrel vibration. Then we build a barrel that is totally unequal in diameter so that it vibrates unevenly.
When you want something to vibrate in a consistent manner.....its usually ROUND. Ever seen a 3 sided guitar string?
A square barrel would be better, 5 sides better than square and an octagon MIGHT be close to a round unit. A 3 sided barrel? Right up there with the Mark10 trigger IMHO.

I have one in 22-250 I it is completely stock I have not even messed around with the trigger.With hornady varmint express 55gr V-Max it shoots 1 moa.I had 1 other box of factory ammo laying around that shot 3/4moa can't remember what it was exactly though.
I find it to be a nice comfortable lighter weight easy to carry rifle.The brake works great making is pretty easy to watch hits.
I sold a bunch of guns to have a couple full customs built and this was the only rifle I kept even though I had a 6.5 creedmore built to replace it.

Fear thanks for posting.

The concept is quite interesting looks like an alternate form of fluting as has been posted previously.

Looks like big green backed it up with 4 solid chambering's all capable of serious accuracy. The stock looks like run of the mill Tupperware and modification of an after market will be a bit of a project. Pretty easy to get cynical with all Remington has been through. Time will tell.

Might give one a try the 1-8 260 could be a winner a 1-9 223 might be pretty sweet as well. I wish they made my 260 CDL SF in a 1-8 rather than 1-9 but in typical 260 fashion its plenty accurate.

Good luck and shoot straight all especially with three sided barrels.:D

Bob

Read that a long time ago. Thanks for the link though. Most REAL barrel makers dislike even fluting a barrel, much less turning it into a triangle of sorts. My cousin has one and it shoots fine, would it shoot any better with a round barrel? We will probably find out at some point as I doubt he will want to go thru getting any barrel maker to build a tube like that.

We have bedded a few for friends and local guys. Two of them in .22-250 and one in .243, all three of them were tack drivers. Not sure of the benefits or pros and cons of the triangular barrel, but I can tell you first hand the ones we worked on shot lights out. Not a fan of the new VTR with the ugly bolt knob and have not shot a newer one, but the first generation VTRs shot great from my experience.

The stock is inletted round so if you were to rebarrel it wouldn't be a problem putting a round barrel on it.
I am friends with the owner and a few of the guys that run the shop of 1 REAL barrel maker in my area and friends with a couple guys that work at another REAL barrel maker in my area. Neither of the 2 manufactures have any problem fluting barrels.
I was told by the guys at one of the barrel makers that they felt that there was very little advantage/disadvantage to fluting and that it was just a matter of personal preference.
I did ask them their thoughts on the triangle barrel and they had nothing to say bad or otherwise. What they did say was when the it quit shooting good to bring it in for a new barrel.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.