Is this bad - Rem 700 bent firing pin? Pic..

fmajor

Greetings all -

I've never posted here (not a GS), so if this thread should be elsewhere please advise...

So, i'm slowly (finally) in the process of re-building my high-school graduation present - Rem 700 ADL in 7mm Rem mag.

I have the 3 primary tools for disassembling the bolt and have completely dissembled it for the 1st time in it's life (1982 production year - i received it brand new Spr 1983 - yes i'm old).

Here is a pic of my finding (hopefully i can get the image to attach).

SM my Rem700 firing pin - orientation.jpg

Is straightening it OK?
Should i replace?

Thanks in advance!!

Last edited:
Greetings all -

I've never posted here (not a GS), so if this thread should be elsewhere please advise...

So, i'm slowly (finally) in the process of re-building my high-school graduation present - Rem 700 ADL in 7mm Rem mag.

I have the 3 primary tools for disassembling the bolt and have completely dissembled it for the 1st time in it's life (1982 production year - i received it brand new Spr 1983 - yes i'm old).

Here is a pic of my finding (hopefully i can get the image to attach).

View attachment 94785

Is straightening it OK?
Should i replace?

Thanks in advance!!

I would recommend that you replace it rather than straightening it and taking a chance on it failing when you don't want it to.

I would try to figure out why it bent though.

J E CUSTOM

Yes that's bent, take JE custom advise and replace it with a new firing pin. Also find out how it got bent, if its never been apart maybe your main spring compression tool is the culprit or you did not have the firing pin all the way seated before you started screwing it in and bent it.

Thanks!

I did straighten it, but i'm going to take the advice of experts and will be ordering a new pin ASAP.

Any suggestions on where i should source a new one? I work for a mission agency so titanium is gonna be outside the budget.

Incidentally, the bolt has never, ever been disassembled. I am the 1st and only owner of the rifle and just within the last 3 days acquired the tools to take it apart.

The rifle, chamber, bore and trigger (which i have disassembled and adjusted to my liking keeping within safe parameters) have always meticulous cleaned, but the bolt is all new to me.

I noticed as i was unscrewing the firing pin assembly from the bolt body there is a high-spot somewhere between the those two components. To me that means one or the other is 'out-of-round'.

Unfortunately i have neither the skills nor tools to establish exactly where.

There is a spot just ahead of the threads in the bolt body which have had the factory black coating scratched, but the sticky-ness in tightening does not begin until the firing pin assembly has been inserted where the threads on the bolt shroud are engaged.

I bought a brand new 700ADL to take apart last year. Disassembled it within minutes of getting home, and the firing pin was bent just the same as your picture, new out of the box. I replaced it in that build with a new one. I'd say that it's very possible it has been like that since 82 and slipped through QC.

Could the high spot have been the firing pin rubbing?

Maybe try screwing on the bolt shroud without the firing pin or cocking piece.

I would give Remington a call, they may just send you a new one and be able to tell you what may have caused it to bend.

I would give Remington a call, they may just send you a new one and be able to tell you what may have caused it to bend.
Remington has filed for bankruptcy , I won't expect any help for a rifle that old. Brownells or Midway. Get a new pin that attaches the cocking piece to the firing pin rod, too

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.