Is there any saving a barrel with an off axis chamber?

Monteria

I got a prefit barrel (2nd hand, so there was no sending it back) that I really like, except that the chamber was cut off axis. With a bore scope, I can see that the lands are not concentric.

It's currently chambered for 6.5 creedmoor. Is there any chance of saving it by reaming to a longer cartridge? 260AAR or 6.5-06 imp would certainly clean up the existing chamber and cut a new leade.

But will the reamer just follow the old chamber, or can the barrel be saved?

I got a prefit barrel (2nd hand, so there was no sending it back) that I really like, except that the chamber was cut off axis. With a bore scope, I can see that the lands are not concentric.

It's currently chambered for 6.5 creedmoor. Is there any chance of saving it by reaming to a longer cartridge? 260AAR or 6.5-06 imp would certainly clean up the existing chamber and cut a new leade.

BUMMER! It might (???) not be worth the cost to re-chamber (~$250), but it is best to consult with your GS. Good luck!

does it shoot? have seen some pretty rough factory barrels shoot like a dream.
to answer your question unless there is enough barrel shank left to remove the old chamber body and still be rethreaded the chances are your just going to follow the old chamber. another option is use it as a fireform barrel and save the wear on your new barrel. you said it is a prefit so changing barrels are easy 5-10 minutes max

Cut the threads off and rechamber. Just sayin'

How's it shoot?

Does it shoot?

How much money do you want to gamble on making this gun square?

Can you get a new, larger bolt face and rechamber to 6.5 PRC? All the cool kids are shooting it.

Depending on how much the concentricity is off and how much oversized your willing to except, your most likely best option is to make the chamber larger in diameter not just longer in length. 6.5-284 comes to mind with your current bolt face.

First, I would check to see how well it shoots. I've had a couple of chambers that were slightly off center, and they shoot very well. One was a target 308, how did they screw that up, but once I found the right load, I used that barrel for a couple of years.

Second, short answer is yes. Depending on your smith's skills, it can be re-chambered to say a 260AI or 6.5-06.

How did it shoot for the original owner?
Did you take it to a GS to make sure that chamber is off?
Did you shoot it ???
Sometimes looking through a Bore Scope before shooting a barrel gives you issues that are not really issues.
If it shoots OK just keep shootin it.
You can try using a PTG Throater to square up the Lands.
Unless you have enough shank to cut off the old chamber and start over the new reamer will follow the old chamber and you will be where you started. If in fact the chamber is off.

I figured it was probably a lost cause or not worth throwing $ at.

It shoots well enough for what it is with light bullets and light loads. Push weight (bearing surface) or pressure up, and it goes to pot.

Since I have no interest in light bullets or slow loads, I think I'm just going to use it for some wildcat experimenting...

If I ruin it all together, I know where to get more barrels.

Respectfully Buddy , I would just pull the barrel and get a NEW ONE,( $400 or so ) from Kreiger , or Shilen or Hart or any one of the better well Known Makers, chambered in what ever caliber, and twist , you really want . IMHO

I think I'm just going to use it for some wildcat experimenting...
I'm not clear on whether you have the machine, tooling and at least basic chambering knowledge to DIY- or if you need to hire a smith. Personally, I wouldn't take on a job like this but you might find someone that would.

The risk/reward ratio is outta whack here and not worth the cost of hiring a smith. I would charge more than a standard chambering job because it's harder to dial in a barrel that's already been chambered- particularly one with a chamber that's visually off-axis, and I'd tell you up front I couldn't guarantee the results. You didn't mention the contour, but if it's heavy enough- and long enough- that a couple of inches could be lopped off of the breech and essentially start from scratch it would be more tenable.