Are there any books on smithing?????

rentyn

Hey everyone,
I was wondering if there are any decent books on smithing that would be worthwhile reading for someone just getting started. I'm located in Canada and schools that have a gunsmithing program amount to one in Quebec and they teach in french. I'm signing up for some machining courses at a local college to get an understanding of the machine aspect of it. I have been looking for some dvd's that have some good information in them. PTG sells some ones that look good. The AGI ones are probably good as long as you don't use them for your entire eduacation. It seems nowadays everyone wants to learn something in 3 months by doing nothing.

Any ideas would be a step in the right direction. Thanks.

Cheers, MIchael Gemus

Hey everyone,
I was wondering if there are any decent books on smithing that would be worthwhile reading for someone just getting started. I'm located in Canada and schools that have a gunsmithing program amount to one in Quebec and they teach in french. I'm signing up for some machining courses at a local college to get an understanding of the machine aspect of it. I have been looking for some dvd's that have some good information in them. PTG sells some ones that look good. The AGI ones are probably good as long as you don't use them for your entire eduacation. It seems nowadays everyone wants to learn something in 3 months by doing nothing.

Cheers, MIchael Gemus

There is a very good book by John Hinnant called "The Complete Illustrated Guide To Precision
Rifle barrel Fitting" that I found very good for building accurate rifles.

You can purchase one from Dave Manson of Manson reamers for $35.00.

His link Is=

Mansonreamers

J E CUSTOM

There is a very good book by John Hinnant called "The Complete Illustrated Guide To Precision
Rifle barrel Fitting" that I found very good for building accurate rifles.

You can purchase one from Dave Manson of Manson reamers for $35.00.

His link Is=

Mansonreamers

J E CUSTOM

That is a very good book, buy it.

Zeroing and Adjusting Metallic Rifle Sights for Mod 3 Gunsights

found on about page 55 of a google search .....

May be more spicific stuff on there ,but I was looking for info on barrels and sights....

Also saw sev references to a book by Townsend Whelen on the general subject of hunting ballistics ,etc.....

It come to my memory of a couple of shop manuals out there on the Garand and also the M14......lightbulb

I found my basic answer in the link above about how to determine sight hieght and distance between front and rear,and it stated they do need to be on the same plane .....
I expect I could start with the rear and then mactch a front sight of some type..

But I have been googling and googling and saw your post was similar to one I put up on ,How to ask the right question.....

Maybe there is a library some where on line specific to all this,similar to the library TFL used to keep at the top of thier forum.....
My search tech,is not the best...
But I can see in my minds eye ,what I am wanting .....:)
Have not type in gunsmithing yet at amazon or google....:cool:

Thx all.

Hey everyone,

Cheers, MIchael Gemus

some books here also on what you ask..

The Gunsmith's Reference Library:)

There are the Jerry Kuhnhausen shop manuals that are action specific ie: 1911, Mauser, etc. these are excellent books. Published and distributed by Heritage Gun Books

Gunsmithing in general is a broad subject.

The book by Hinant is good for rifle building although some of the setups may be different depending on your lathe. Most of his drawings assume running between centers vs through the headstock with a spider. But, it's stuff one needs to know.

Grizzly has a decent DVD by Gordy Gritters pertaining to chambering.

Darrel Holland's AGI DVD's are pretty good as well. The one's on building accurate rifles are good. But, his sets on the lathe, mill, and machine shop are excellent if you have time and equipment to practice on.

These are great resources, but personalized training is hard to best.

-- richard

Some great responses guys. Thanks. I built a large reference library of furniture and woodworking books awhile ago. It's nice to have so much good info at your fingertips. The link to the Gunsmiths Reference Library was great. I'm signing up for some machine operating courses at the local college in Hamilton, Ontario. It's not far from my town.

I guess I would like some books on building rifles. Everything from turning barrels, chambering, action truing to bedding stocks and trigger jobs.

Lets see if we can get a good thread going with resources for books, manuals and dvds.

Michael Gemus

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.