Brass rubbing off in chamber

If it were me in that situation, I would be getting my money back from the shade tree smith, getting another barrel, then getting a quality gunsmith to do the work.

Minute amounts are removed. If the chamber is left as is, with no cleaning, then the "scratches" will be minimized because the brass is filling the imperfections.

I'd still have it set back by a competent smith.

Yes if I were to leave it in there then there would eventually be a galvanic reaction and just cause pitting. It might take a long time, but I still don't want that happening.

At this point, it's too late to have it corrected prior to my hunt in early October (even if I could find a good reamer I don't know any miracle worker gunsmiths in Utah) and I don't have money to pay for additional work done.

I may just have to hope that I can get the guy to give me a refund and deal with it for this season.

After all the issues and headaches... I think a refund is justified haha

There are some guys have a shop just south and east(?) of SLC...
They don't flute..but the do a lot of other....

I didn't have work done by them...they dont flute...
I think it was...
Precision Gun Smithing...
If you sweet talked my Smith..and drive it up to Inkom Idaho he would most likely try to get it done for you..
Dave Hunt
N. Rapid Creek
Inkom Idaho
Sure he'd have to rent the dreamer though....but had be good for you to know...

It's a wildcat (stating the obvious)- do you have the original reamer, or know the specs (freebore, neck)?

I didn't have work done by them...they dont flute...
I think it was...
Precision Gun Smithing...
If you sweet talked my Smith..and drive it up to Inkom Idaho he would most likely try to get it done for you..
Dave Hunt
N. Rapid Creek
Inkom Idaho
Sure he'd have to rent the dreamer though....but had be good for you to know...

If he does good work, I'll keep him in mind for the next work I have done. That's not too far from me.

It's a wildcat (stating the obvious)- do you have the original reamer, or know the specs (freebore, neck)?

I don't. The reamer belongs to the smith (a 40 year old reamer) and he used a throating reamer also.

But, my freshly annealed unsized brass measures 0.342... so the neck may be 0.343, I'm guessing. Same case... Head(?) Measures 0.499-0.501, the shoulder measures 0.475

I'd have the barrel set back one turn (if possible) and drilled again. Preferably from a good 'smith. I'd ask the first guy for your money back. Not even close to right.
Sounds like a good idea. I recently had to return a McGowan barrel to have the chamber polished as unfired Starline brass was sticking in the chamber at starting loads. It was sloppy reamer work and the crown badly cut. If the barrel didn't shoot as well as it does I was going to use it for a tomato stake and cut my loses. I may yet take it to another smith and have it rechambered.

Sounds like a good idea. I recently had to return a McGowan barrel to have the chamber polished as unfired Starline brass was sticking in the chamber at starting loads. It was sloppy reamer work and the crown badly cut. If the barrel didn't shoot as well as it does I was going to use it for a tomato stake and cut my loses. I may yet take it to another smith and have it rechambered.

I've heard their barrels are a bit hit and miss.

I'm glad I can get mine to shoot some decent groups... That will make the saving and waiting to get it redone a little easier.

Recent Posts