Is the Love Affair Over? (300BO)

I ran 6.5 Grendel with wolf 100gr for a while. I piled up quite a few hogs with that round. It's a little bit inconsistent in how it performs (pass through one pig and cut the next one in half) but when it was priced like .30/rnd I ran a bunch of it.

I liked the blackout until I got a PCC then it was over. I am a huge fan of the PCC and they used to be cheap to shoot. With the crazy stuff happening now even 9mm is expensive

I was lucky to pick up 10 boxes of 6.5 Grendel Hornady factory ammo with the 123gr SST bullets recently. I'm thinking they'll make good small to medium game ammo. I handload but even brass is almost impossible to find these days so I was glad to pick up some good usable ammo with good reloadable brass cases.

Anybody know what the latest is on getting suppressors approved now that Biden and company have the Whitehouse and the Democraps have Congress?

I was lucky to pick up 10 boxes of 6.5 Grendel Hornady factory ammo with the 123gr SST bullets recently. I'm thinking they'll make good small to medium game ammo. I handload but even brass is almost impossible to find these days so I was glad to pick up some good usable ammo with good reloadable brass cases.

Anybody know what the latest is on getting suppressors approved now that Biden and company have the Whitehouse and the Democraps have Congress?

I just got mine approved last week after 8 months. Just waiting on my stamp

I would say it's more like the honeymoon is over.......You either love it for what it is, or you wonder how you ended up with it.
😆
There are still plenty of people using them suppressed, but it's not the "perfect, all round AR cartridge" some people wanted it to be. I wanted to build one, but with as many youth as I have shooting the thought of a mag ending up in a 223 just scared me to bad.

Look at a form 1 suppressor it only takes a month or so

Thanks

Buck

I had 8 of them at one point, trying to find a way to make them fill more than one role and I couldn't make it work. Dumped them all then bought one back. Subsonic 200+ are all it's useful for in my opinion. I only shoot suppressed. I've had some wild ricochets with the slow heavies in rocky country. They do not kill anything well (I'm not going to load expensive low speed expanding Bullets for pigs). Much better tools available for the jobs I do.
Yep, it's a one trick pony. absolutely great as subsonic killer. Most other cartridges that fit these platforms are more efficient and can multi-task.

...What do y'all think? Has the Grendel eclipsed the Blackout?

It seems to have so many more capabilities and it seems to be so much more versatile...
To be picky, the concern for many of us Grendeliers was that the Blackout would eclipse the already existing 6.5 Grendel. After all, it could be said that. ballistically, the Blackout almost perfectly fits the role of the classic 30-30.

The Grendel does that and a lot more, except throw bullets weighing more than about 160 grains.

Getting to the question -- It appears that Grendel sales remain as strong as they have been over the past ten years with new ammunition options becoming available a few times a year.

I have gotten away from it in the ar platform, but my 16" cva scout takedown is one of my favorite rifles. I have loads from 90gr xtp's at 800fps to 125gr supers and 220gr subs. Those 90's suppressed are pellet gun quiet and work great for squirrels and rabbits.

I have killed deer around the house with a 16" 300 BLK using Nosler 125 BT. I have moved on to a 350 Legend for deer in the swamp now. I still use 300 BLK in a 10.5" AR pistol. I use H110 and Lil Gun powders and it doesn't create a huge fireball like some of the other calibers in an AR pistol. I love my 20" heavy barrel 6.5 Grendel for pigs when I go to south Texas. A 123 grain Hornady SST backed by H335 does the job. That is a lot of fun when hunting the them at night.

The 300blk is perfect for subsonic loads in the AR platform and bolt guns. It also works well for a light recoil/accurate/effective solution for new shooters with the 110grn offerings. The sound signature with the 110grn loads suppressed is also very good, it doesn't seem to alarm nearby deer or pigs very much. I have a few ARs and a threaded model seven.

I try to minimize duplicate calibers to some degree. I got rid of a couple of 7.62x39 bolt guns and an AR as they were basically duplicates and the AR mags were caliber specific. I also have ARs in 9mm, they just don't kill racoons or pigs as well from my experience.

The 300 is also cheap in regular times for quality ammo or reloading components.

Call me a "Two Timer"... I still love em both. Blk sits beside easy chair loaded with 110's...wife has hers with 123 SST's. A third carries 190 Makers for those Quiet times. The Grendel holds 120's @ 2550fps and drives nails. Sure..the Grendel shoots faster/better(IMO)...but the Blk will get the Self Defense job done around the house...and I have SO much more 30 cal supplies..NOW..is not the time to switch..cant find supplies..I got on Grendel's a Lil late or I'd have more.

I know there is probably still a hard core group that's still in love with the 300BO but it seems that the love affair is over and you don't hear about it as much anymore. I was and still am a fan of it's grand daddy the 300 Whisper as originally introduced by JD Jones waaaaaay back in the dark ages for the Thompson Center Contender but never got one in an AR nor did I consider it a serious medium to big game cartridge.

My new love affair is with the 6.5 Grendel for everything from 1000yd targets to prairie dogs to hogs and whitetail and I've heard it suppresses very well but I haven't gone that route yet.

What do y'all think? Has the Grendel eclipsed the Blackout?

It seems to have so many more capabilities and it seems to be so much more versatile.

I hope this doesn't start a ****ing match but rather a good discussion of the good, the bad and the ugly of each cartridge.
I own a 300 BO with a fast twist 9" barrel and I really feel that it is at its best as a PDW (personal defense weapon). I have read that it was intended to be a more effective alternative to 9mm for use as a suppressed weapon for special forces operators. They shoot people. In that role it shines. There are much better alternatives for hunting and the Grendel is a honey. For hunting medium sized game the 6.5 Grendel punches far above its weight class with 120gr soft point bullets designed for 6.5 Swedish, etc. I have literally knocked large whitetail does off their feet at 60 yds with a Grendel rifle shooting 123gr SST's moving at 2400 fps. They suppress well too, and accuracy can be superb. We have some 300 pound hogs down here in SC and I think the Grendel might be a little light for 100+ yard shots on them, but the 6.5 Creedmoor with 140's knocks them DRT for me. I'm sure the 300 BO supersonic loads will also kill medium game up close, but that is not what it was designed to do. Just my $.02...

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.