What the heck is this?

huntxtrm

I just acquired my first AR10. Upon taking it apart for cleaning and inspection, prior to getting behind it. I found this. I really don't know what it is, or what its for. I assume its some kind of weight, to reduce recoil? I want to use this rifle to shoot long range, at the range. Range toy. Saves me from burning up my 300rum (rifle and expensive ammo). I want to gradually accurize this ar, and built a load for it also. So, any advice as to what this is, would be appreciated. This is a used ar10, a few years old. I called Armalite, they said it was not sold as a complete rifle, just a stipped lower. So, I am assuming someone built it.
Bolt%202.jpg
Bolt1.jpg
gun)

LOL, I know what the bolt carrier is! the silver piece is foreign to me. I plan on loading my own, should I leave it in? I don't necessarily load hot, just for accuracy. Sometimes, they turn out hot. I've never loaded for an automatic before. But, that is for another thread.

That weight is your buffer, it goes in the buffer tube in front of your buffer spring. :)

The weight of the buffer, in conjunction with the stiffness of your buffer spring, is used to control the velocity of your BCG (bolt carrier group).

If you shoot hot loads, you will want a heavier buffer and a stiffer spring. Slamming the BCG around more than necessary wears it faster. If you have a heavy spring/buffer combination, and you shoot low power loads, you may not cycle the BCG and start short stroking, stove piping, not stripping the next round from the mag, etc...

It also can help with felt recoil. You try to find the balance between your loads cycling, and having the heaviest buffer/spring combination to not over gas or under gas the gun.

EDIT: CAUTION - In your picture you have the buffer backwards in relation to the BCG. The slim part will fit inside the coils of the buffer spring and the larger end will go into the buffer tube when you press the detent down at the opening of the buffer tube.

If you are not familiar, or would like some help, feel free to IM me and I will give you my cell number. Don't hurt yourself, and don't tear up your rifle.....None of it is worth it.

Last edited:
That weight is your buffer, it goes in the buffer tube in front of your buffer spring. :)

The weight of the buffer, in conjunction with the stiffness of your buffer spring, is used to control the velocity of your BCG (bolt carrier group).

If you shoot hot loads, you will want a heavier buffer and a stiffer spring. Slamming the BCG around more than necessary wears it faster. If you have a heavy spring/buffer combination, and you shoot low power loads, you may not cycle the BCG and start short stroking, stove piping, not stripping the next round from the mag, etc...

It also can help with felt recoil. You try to find the balance between your loads cycling, and having the heaviest buffer/spring combination to not over gas or under gas the gun.

EDIT: CAUTION - In your picture you have the buffer backwards in relation to the BCG. The slim part will fit inside the coils of the buffer spring and the larger end will go into the buffer tube when you press the detent down at the opening of the buffer tube.

If you are not familiar, or would like some help, feel free to IM me and I will give you my cell number. Don't hurt yourself, and don't tear up your rifle.....None of it is worth it.

That's the way it came out of it. It also has the buffer in it. Not questioning your knowledge, but this piece is machine fit, inside the BCG? Are you sure it's not a weight? The action functions with it installed.
bolt.jpg
buffer.jpg

Ok, for those of you that want to know. You could tell a difference in recoil, with out it, it did kick just a bit more. But with my loads of 43gn of 4064, behind a 150gn hornady interlock sp. It just didn't quite have enough bang to make it cycle consistently with the weight. I remove the weight, grouping improved to sub moa. Gonna have to do some more trigger work on it. Somebody, before me, took a little too much of the sear. It shoots on the trigger pull stroke, and trigger release stroke. Sometimes.. Because the disconnector, disconnects, before the sear has control of the hammer. I am most likely going to get a match trigger anyway. If it shoots this good, like it is. I think its worth moving forward with. Recon? I'm thinking match trigger.. Get rid of the flash hider, install a brake. Then move on with developing a load for it. What do you guys think? Is this a good order to go in, on one of these AR's?

Learn something new every day! I have NEVER seen that before, and I do a lot of work for friends on their AR platforms.

Maybe I shouldn't be working on them!

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.