What is the best Geissele trigger for hunting?

dwhunts

Geissele has so many different triggers. I don't want to spend the money only to find out later that I would have been better served with a different one. What are your thoughts?

This will be used primarily for deer hunting. However nothing is out of the question. Hogs, predators, and varmints are all possibilities.

Geissele has so many different triggers. I don't want to spend the money only to find out later that I would have been better served with a different one. What are your thoughts?

This will be used primarily for deer hunting. However nothing is out of the question. Hogs, predators, and varmints are all possibilities.

What are you looking for in a trigger?
Adjustable weight?
Specific pull?
Two Stage?
Single Stage?
Take Up?
Over Travel?
Flat?

Sounds like you should probably just stick with the factory trigger until you know what you actually want.

Well I've shot AR's my entire adult life. Both on the range and the battle field. Honestly I do quite well with a factory trigger, and being that I was the armorer for my unit and my marksmanship team in the Army I can even tune them up a little myself. I just thought someone might have some constructive advice for a fellow shooter and hunter...

Well what is it about a Geissele that you feel is what you should have?
Cause everyone says they are the best?
You've shot them and liked the one you shot before?

You still haven't listed any of the criteria that you're looking for, so how could someone possibly make a suggestion that they feel could help you?

If you want a single stage and I tell you a 2 stage is the best one...how does that help you?
If you want a 2lb trigger and I tell you that anything less than 4 us unsafe for hunting...how does that help you?
Do you want a drop in?
Do kind of hunting do you do with your AR?

Get my point?

I'm trying to help, I really am...but I can't spoon feed you.

I personally prefer to have my AR trigger as close to a precision, bolt action trigger as I can get without having slam fires.
I like somewhere between 2-2.5lb single stage trigger pull with zero take up, and minimal over travel, resulting in a short reset.
I like a relatively flat trigger and prefer it to even be knurled. (something I do myself)
I do this because ALL my AR hunting is done prone, on a bipod with plenty of time to set up for shots.
I do this because I hunt open prairie and it suits my shooting and hunting style.

You should just get a SSG-E and learn to love it. Its GERRRRRRRRRRATE!

I see your point when you put it like that. I just assumed it was a given, a good bolt gun trigger was the standard by which it would be judged. I'll be honest though, I've never really understood why some people gripe so much about so called bad triggers. I appreciate a good trigger, but it's never been a "must have" accuracy attribute for me. I don't know... maybe I don't know what a good trigger is. I've messed with the new Ruger American Rifle a little, and thought it's trigger was one of it's best attributes. Then I read a review which just lambasted the trigger as being terrible. It's one of those things... I've made some great shots with some ****** guns, and I've made some ****** shots with some great guns.

My deal is, I put together what I think is the perfect deer, hog and coyote gun. It's a Dtech .25 WSSM upper on a Black Rain billet lower. It shoots great, and I'm shooting it great. Should I even bother with a $250 trigger?

Did you mean SSA-E? I didn't see an SSG-E.

Attachments

• 1371696_569919766378799_529356715_n.jpg
    1371696_569919766378799_529356715_n.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 196
Now we're getting somewhere.

If you already shoot well with a standard, "crappy" factory trigger, then just about any after market trigger will help your cause. (just about).
Can you justify the cost is the question.

I have only fired about 4 different after market triggers and I think maybe 5 factory ones.
What I have squeezed in factory rifles...
Armalite NM 2 stage
KAC 2 stage match
RRA NM 2 stage
DPMS single stage
Oly Arms single stage
DPMS single stage (improved by Bill Springfield at triggerwork.net)

Aftermarket...
Timney 3lb
POF Drop In
SSA-E (yes I meant the SSA-E, I had a finger hiccup)
Spikes Battle

I am currently running the Armalite NM 2 stage in my precision AR10 with no plans to change and I'm running the DPMS factory trigger after having it re-worked by Bill Springfield. If you've got the sack for it, it's probably something you can do yourself...and by utilizing JP 3lb Springs, you can turn your clunky 6-8lb factory trigger into something that hovers around 2.5-3.5 lbs with a nice clean break.
The one downside is that, in my experience, it may need "tuned" down the road.
I don't know if this is true for other aftermarket triggers or not, but I will be moving it over to a new project gun and picking up a Timney 3lb drop in.
You can typically find them in the $180 range. Any more than that and I can't justify the cost.

If I were you, and you had no experience with an after market...this is what I would suggest.

Order whichever you want to experiment with, because no matter what people suggest, it will be a trial run for you.
Install it and try it out. While you're going through the transition...send your factory trigger off to Bill and get it re-worked or do it yourself and pick up some 3lb springs.

When it's all done...swap them back and forth and ask yourself if you can justify the cost of the aftermarket one.
My bet is that you will not, and you'll be looking to either chalk it up to experience or offload it for a slight loss.
Either way, everyone wins.
You get something you want, you get knowledge and experience, and someone else has the potential to do the same with a lightly used trigger. (if you get rid of it)

At any rate...I feel that the Geissele line is a bit over priced for what I want out of an AR trigger.
Others are MORE, and others are LESS.

That's what I was thinking about Geissele, knowing the AR like I do. I just didn't see how they could be worth what you would pay for an entire lower. The drop-ins intrigued me. Then, I've got a buddy who is a police swat sniper in Tulsa. He had a run-away gun (in training, thank god) with one of the modular drop-ins. His department now prohibits them. I think I'll just stick with my factory trigger. I think judging by the number of people which responded to this thread, I'd say I'm not alone. I mean I'm literally shooting one hole groups at 100 yards using factory ammo, while doing barrel break in. It don't get much better than that. Just wanted some other opinions. Thank you for your input.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.