So what is this?

Elkeater

Think I bought the wrong kind of upper receiver. No big deal. They're cheap and I can get a mil spec one. But what do I do with this one? What kinda of handguard fits this?obviously it's not milled out like a milspec.
2E03664D-389C-4A87-B64B-A23725D13AB4.jpeg
52FA864A-3E10-47E3-9B75-434B3BA740F2.jpeg

No it's definitely a ar-15 pattern just not really milled. I'll be taking it back to the store.

Actually the upper looks pretty standard--- what's going on with that seekins handguard? It shouldn't be "off set" unless itss for something proprietary
it has anti-rotation tabs that are probably designed to mate with the profile of a Seekins upper receiver. Usually the mfr will have some kind of disclaimer that their product won't work with a billet or non-mil-spec receiver, such as this case. or not.

Last edited:
it has anti-rotation tabs that are probably designed to mate with the profile of a Seekins upper receiver. Usually the mfr will have some kind of disclaimer that their product won't work with a billet or non-mil-spec receiver, such as this case. or not.
I see it now-- the anti rotation tabs are causing it to not sit flush with your billet style upper....the really "off" part is the difference in height of the rails...looks like ypu definitely have a "non-mil spec" upper there
I don't use handguards wirh rails though--

Actually the upper looks pretty standard--- what's going on with that seekins handguard? It shouldn't be "off set" unless itss for something proprietary
Yup all the above comments. Didn't really realize there were handguards that didn't have anti rotation tabs. Every one I've messed with had the anti rotation tabs and lined up nicely. Guess I'll just buy a new mil spec upper receiver.

Not all ar15 parts work with each other, but the majority does. Some of F1 receiver sets (light weight 1's with the cuts) are not interchangeable with other brands. Ther's another mfg that I can't think of right now that's the same way. Geissele has tabs on their handguard (not sure if all do) that don't conform with other uppers. I know this because I had to Dremel to reform.