• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

SOLD/EXPIRED is it worth it to make a long range hunting rifle from a model 70 30-06

Hey Nathank,

You will allways end up with a better rifle after having a competent gunsmith put thier "magic touch" on them. To answer your question, "is it worth it" it kinda going to be up to you, are you willing to spend the money to have it done?, from my experience it will cost you from around 650.00 and up to have your action trued, and get a good barrel installed, chambered, crowned, and ready to put back into a stock, that does not include a premium stock, or even having your stock glass bedded. Just something to kick around.

Tony.

Yes. As little as $500 and up to how ever much you want to spend. I would say you could do it well for less than a new factory rifle.

Steve

Is it/will it be worth it? I'm confident it will.

Cartridge selection will be critical. I'd stick with something that will work with the same bolt face ('06 size). A 6.5-06 would be great a 6.5-06 Improved would be better. A 280 Improved may be optimum. (7mm Rem Mag ballistics or very close, they tell me)

Your biggest problem may be finding a good rifle smith to do the work.......

It's very much worth it! Every rifle I own has been trued and rebarreled.
Just find a good gunsmith and check with other guys that have used them.
Anyone can say they are a gunsmith.
Check with Randy at R&D Precision Rifles hes done a couple of mine great guy and does work that will satisfy anyone.

If that is a pre 64 mad 70 win. I would look into its value in it's origional state first. You may decide to sell it and start with a custom action.

Just a thought.

Jeff

Oh custom actions are great but 1/2moa is 1/2moa no matter what action it is, unless your talking resale value. I dont conside that since I dont plan on selling any of mine.

Worth it! Just make certain of your goal and uses before you get started.
Be certain what you want to use the rifle for.
A new custom barrel and stock, assembled and bedding by a caring smith will do wonders.

I know. I had a 243 wssm win mod 70 with a pencil barrel that was a mess. I got it trued,lugs lapped and rebarreled to 6.5wssm(just to be different) and had it bedded in a beautiful laminiated stock. I shoots amazing. 3shots in the 1's and 5 shots in the 3's. It isn't a bencrest rig either. I have to try to shoot a bad group with that rifle.