• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

SOLD/EXPIRED WTB - Looking to buy a long range hunting rifle

RandySmith

I am very new to this site. I'm looking for a long range hunting rifle in either a 300 ultra mag or 7mm without optics. This will be my first long range gun so I don't want to brake the bank. I'd prefer a 700 action and would possibly even consider a different caliber if the someone could explain a better option. Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Randy,

You'll find that this "interest" will, after you get the rifle, become an addiction for which there is no cure.

Darn fun and rewarding though.

Just sayin'

Enjoy and welcome aboard.

Randy,
As if you don't need alternatives! BUT, my advice is to get a Savage action and build a rifle that fits your current needs. When you decide to change (and you will) all it will take will be an action wrench and another barrel in a different caliber.
Cheezie

I have been trying to figure how to do that. Is there a place that will recommend parts to build a rifle?

Randy

Randy, You can join the SavageShooters forum at savageshooters.com. Classifieds there have lots of rifle-building parts for sale as do the advertisers.

I have been trying to figure how to do that. Is there a place that will recommend parts to build a rifle?

Randy

I just finished building my first savage DIY. Blame Jerry Teo for the article "Long Range Rifle on a budget". I read it many times over a period of months and finally had to do it. Used savage 111 from a local gun shop, stock from Boyd's, cheekpiece from LRHstore here, barrel from PacNor, trigger from RifleBasix, rail and rings from Sinclair(Brownell's), epoxy and spraypaint from the local hardware store, headspace gauges, barrelnut wrench and barrel vise from MidwayUSA, scope from Cameralandusa, brake from JP Industries. Labor was probably in the area of 10 hours, mostly for the bedding process. Savages can be like LEGOs for grownups. Rifle is 280 Ackley.

Attachments

• Completion! 001.JPG
    Completion! 001.JPG
    153.5 KB · Views: 11
  • Breaking in the 280AI 001.JPG
    Breaking in the 280AI 001.JPG
    188.7 KB · Views: 10
Hey

Thanks for all the PM's and emails received. I had no idea what I was getting myself into, but its fun so far. I think I have been convinced to build my own long range rifle. I have decided to go with a 7mm. Based on my research, it appears to be the best all around caliber, I am still very new at this. Now I would like to know, if there are any builds that I can use as a reference. I see there are a lot of choices in barrel and actions. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I am trying to stay around $1500 for the gun.

ONE VIEW OF HOW TO BUILD A LONG-RANGE 7MM RIFLE FOR $1500

Used Savage donor rifle, any Winchester Short Magnum caliber $325*
7mmWSM large-shank prefit barrel from SINARMS $300
Timney trigger $100**
Stocky's laminated featherweight stock w/ pillars $150***
Machined recoil lug, barrel nut, Northland $75
action bedding epoxy, dura-coat finish $75
EGW 20-mil one-piece scope rail $70
Used Bushnell Elite 4200 4-16x40 scope w/rings $300
WSM go gauge, Savage barrel wrench $55
Sling $30
Total $1480

RATIONALE: WSM is the highest-performing short-action case for 7mm, and has manageable recoil for most. Typical reloader performance is a 150gr bullet at 3100fps and factory ammo is readily available for non-reloaders. Note that the WSM case uses a LARGE SHANK Savage barrel, instead of the much more common small shank. Other high-performance 7mm's (e.g. 7mm Weatherby) could be built for about the same cost using a long-action donor rifle.

DIY steps: remove old stock, trigger, and barrel (using barrel wrench and shop vise.) Dura-coat bare action to match barrel (stainless.) Bed action to stock following You-tube instructions. Install trigger. Install new barrel, using go-gauge to headspace, and tighten with barrel wrench. Install new stock, and scope.

* sell takeoff barrel ($65)
** omit if donor rifle is Accutrigger model
*** or any of several high-quality, stiff, light composite used stocks for $200-$300

I would let this go for $1750.00
Rem 700 trued, Hart 26" fluted 7mm 1-9. fluted bolt, HS stock, timney trigger.
Load development for 168 and 180 bergers, both 1/2 MOA easy.
EGW 20 MOA base.
No bipod, rings, cheek pad or scope.

Attachments

• 20141006_173420.jpg
    20141006_173420.jpg
    257.5 KB · Views: 8
RandySmith, Remington or Savage, which one do you prefer?

randy, I have the following "gunsafe queen".rifle was built byLRH gunsmith,montour co.riflesin P.A. action(rem.700)trued,26'#4st.st.fluted barrel W/vais brake..300 weatherby w/1/11twist.stock is Kevlar-resin by LoneWolf .custom trigger,fullybeded action.duel front swivels.have 10plus boxes ofweatherby&hournady 180gr.factory ammo.more inreload dies,bullets,brass.less than 75rds.been shot.shoots 1.5"@200yds.8.5lb w/3.5x10x50 leopold scope.all for 2,100.:D