Is Headspace an issue on Wildcat Cartridges

Chas1

It would seem to me that a chamber and full length resizing die cut by the same reamer would negate having to worry about chamber clearance that allows the cartridge to move or expand forward or rearward. I'd appreciate it if folks would weigh in and let me know if my thinking is wrong and if so why.

You can't make a resize die from a chamber reamer. The resize die needs to be smaller than the chamber so it can size the brass smaller than the chamber. As for headspace, It has the same relevance on any cartridge. The person reaming the hole determines how deep it is.

You can't make a resize die from a chamber reamer. The resize die needs to be smaller than the chamber so it can size the brass smaller than the chamber. As for headspace, It has the same relevance on any cartridge. The person reaming the hole determines how deep it is.

+1
Couldn't have said it better my self.

J E CUSTOM

Thanks for responding Edd. Makes sense, otherwise the case good be pushed into the resizing die by hand with about the same amount of energy as pushing the fired case back into the chamber. Don't know why I couldn't arrive at that conclusion on my own. I guess when I went looking for some sort of tool to measure headspace for a 338 Allen Xpress and saw that the only tools (go, no-go gauges etc.) were only available for factory cartridges I then got it in my head that maybe headspace isn't an issue for wildcat cartridges and that's must be cause the same reamer is used on chamber and die. So given the fact that headspace is relevant then what tool or method are folks using when their cartridge is a wildcat?

Go and No-Go gauges are available for Wildcats too. Whoever makes your reamer can make you a gauge to match it.

I don't have or own the reamer, Kirby Allen of APS does and who made the reamer for him...I don't know. I'm guessing my best bet is to email Kirby and start there. Again, thanks for your help Edd, I appreciate it.

I own several wildcats. depending stretch of the cartridge when fired, the amount of powder etc. I measure the cases after the first firing. The cartridge has formed itself to the chamber of your rifle. check the length of the cartridge. trim if necessary. I only neck size my cases. On AI cases I check the neck for proper shoulder forming and check the case for excessive wear. I reload my cases until the primer seating becomes loose. I throw my cases away. Start all over again. I have 223AI,22-250AI 243AI and 6mmAI. I have a 7mmwsm wears out cases quick. Max loads will wear the cases out quickly. have fun, shoot often, practice makes perfect. I use winchester brass if possible. federal match grade primers. bt bullets if possible. when prepping cases give very close inspeciton. I am defintely a powder head. I love to shoot. No production rifle specs. r the same. u work with what u bought.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.