Headspace issue

jaybic

Hello all,

In an ongoing effort to stop splitting necks while fireforming 243ai brass and having more misfires than normal, I bought a 243ai GO and a NO GO gauge and my rifle will chamber both of them....bolt all the way closed...I wasnt sure before but this has to indicate excess headspace doesnt it? Is it reasonable to think that this is a possible reason why my rifle doesnt seem to shoot as well as I think it should? Or is this a safety issue?

Thanks for your time,

Jamie

If the bolt will close on a NO GO gauge you have a headspace/safety issue and should have a smith look at it. Unless it is a Savage. If so, now that you have the go/no go gauges all you need is a barrel wrench and you could adjust the headspace yourself.

Itsa custom Hart barreled stiller in a Mcmillan.....I am runnng all hand loaded ammo....I have had quite a few problem with it from the get go and it still doesnt seem like it shoots like it should and dont know if if this may play part in it.....

Anyway, thanks for the help fellas...

Jamie

How are you fireforming?
In your situation, you can safely fireform cases by using a medium/middle load for a standard 243, seat bullets to be into the rifling .005" and shoot, this will allow a complete fireform to YOUR CHAMBER, then only neck size until chambering becomes tight, then, once you set your bump at .002"-.003", bump from then on, because if you FL size, you will have to fireform again and start over.
I would also advise you to anneal your necks prior to fireforming.
If you want this issue fixed, you will have to take the barrel off, remove one or two threads and re-chamber with .005" negative headspace, which is how it should have been in the first place.

On a side note, you can use a fast shotgun powder, Clays is perfect, it is bulky and a load that fills the case 2/3 with a twist TP over it and compressed slightly with a chop stick, should give a good fireform for your chamber without case stretching or split necks.

Cheers.
gun)

jaybic,

If the headspace is that far off I'd have a good gunsmith check the entire rifle and barrel completely. He should slug the bore especially to be sure that it isn't oversize...Then check the crown and concentricity of the chamber.

Technically you should send it back to Hart to have them correct the chamber headspace but if they QC'd it and released it to you then why bother.

If you don't want to work the brass as suggested above, the barrel can be set back and the chamber cut to the proper headspace but by a qualified gunsmith this time.

Regards.

Kinda sounds like you ran that thing within an inch of it's life. Get it to a smith and have them check it. with any luck you set the barrel back and keep going.
Hopefully you didn't destroy the action.

It getting a brand new Brux tube done up with a PT and G reamer and gauges I just bought....my local smith is doing the work this time. He has done a .308 and 2 other 22-250ai rifles for me and all of them shoot well so this should fix it for the last time...After.....3 different barrels, 5 chamberings/rechamber/set backs, 1/2 dozen trips to Minnetonka, 2 to NY, 300.00 worth of junk brass, shipping and countless hours and the range, bullets, powder and enough frustration to kill a Hanoi Hilton survivor.....

There is not likely any damage to the action is there seriously?? Its a Stiller Predator. How would i know?

I think I lost on this deal....rifle must be work 10,000 dollars by now....

I doubt any damage to the action. Brass is obviously toast at this point.

But, don't ya just love the smell of napalm in the morning?

You are well versed in all of this now and sounds like you really have a grip. gun)

I had a rifle like that. Three gunsmiths four barrels, including having Pac-Nor barrel and chamber it. Finally I gave to to a friend and told him he could do whatever he wanted with it, I was finished spending money on it.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.