Is anyone using the heavier .223 bullets?

rdm

Specifically the 70-80 grain match bullets. I'm putting together a custom AR15 with 1:7.7" twist, 5.56 NATO match chamber. Was wondering about terminal effects and pelt damage.

I use 75gr Hornady MHP's out of a 24", 7.7 twist, Lothar Walther bbl. Accuracy is great @ 1/4" to 1/2". Terminal effects depend on the specific batch of bullets. The hollow point tips on the first box of 600 bullets were very tight and hardly opened up at all. Very little pelt damage, but some tracking was often required. Most praire dogs that I hit even managed to go down the hole and die. The latest box of 600 have rather open tips and are moderately explosive on P-dogs. The last Coyote I hit tipped over without even a kick, and the exit hole was about 1/2 in diameter.

Using the 75 hornady in 1/8 twist with Rl-15
shoots very well....
For saving the hides use the 60gr nos...

I have an 8 twist Hart on mine and i'm using the JLK 65 Low Drag/old DPMS VLD magazine/3-9x PFI 22 Long Rifle Rapid Reticle, and have had good success with the setup to about 500 yds.

I shoot 80 gn. bullets in my .22-6mm with an 8 twist and from what I see with it the 80 gn. bullets won`t open at .223 velociyies. The 75 Hornady HP`s should make a good choice for you as I blow them appart in the .22-6mm. I`ve thought about loading some for my AR, but I like the 55 gn. soft point I`m useing in it.

My Dad shot his first with the 69 grain SMK last night out of his AR. Entrance hole was hard to find at all, exit hole maybe nickel sized max. DRT at 150 yards. We shoot these out of 1:8 twist Rock Rivers. Accuracy is 1/2 MOA easy.

Zapped several with 75AMAXs @ 3100FPS via 223AI. 120-435yrds. They did a remarkable job.

Shot a yote with 69SMK @ 2850 via AR15 a few years ago. Less than stellar performance. Range= 175ish. Boiler room impact, in-out. Ran a LOOOOONG way before expiring.

Any of the heavy VLD bullets will have to be single shot feed on a AR platform. There is an extended magazine and a modification that can be done to shoot 80 grain SMK. The Bergers VLDs are just too long to be magazine fed.

In my personal opinion the .223 should be kept to a 350 yard range and for further shooting the larger capacity 22s and 6mms should be used. For example the 22s and 6mms with 80-105 grainers out to 600 are hard to beat. The higher BCs and velocities make a huge difference in the wind.

Yes, the 223s will shoot farther than 350 but you are very much handicaped. The point is to plant a dog and keep the fur you will have much better chances with a larger and heavier bullet than the 223 will push at ranges over 350 yards
Rustystud

I shoot 77 smk moly BHA through my ar and it does the trick nice at distance, shot a few yotes with it at 400 yards plus and the exit was the size of a quarter. I am in the killing them business, not the hide business so i use a round that i know works at distance. I am good with that round past 750 yards on paper with some fairly good accuracy. I like the ar platform with the fast follow ups. I have a 24 in wilson match bull barrel with a 1/7.7 twist and getting arounf 2720 fps. I use the 20 round pmag with a nightforce 33.5x15x50 scope

I picked up some Federal Gold Medal ammo loaded with the 77gr SMK to try. I finally got all the other parts for my AR except the upper receiver. This **** waiting is killing me.

i shoot a rock river with a 1:8 twist and im using the 68 gr. black hills moly, and just the other day i shot a bobcat just under the chin while it was looking at me at about 140 yards, and it didnt even exit. im thinkin it hit the spine a took a south bound turn down his neck. its also good medicine for coyotes, drops them all in their tracks no prob.....

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.