Anyone using the 55gr Blitzking?

Im actually going to look at Speers bullets as they are very inexpensive and if they shoot great I don't think the pdogs will mind

As i recall the 55 BT has a boatail? I can't stabilize them in a 14T Swift but I can get good groups with a 55 VMax (flat base). There must be just enough extra length with the BT to give the 14T trouble or if just doesn't like that bullet.
I wouldn't think they'd come apart from a 12T at 3600 but stranger things have happened. I pushed 55 Vmax to 3650 from a 9T--- a bunch more rpms. Barrel condition has a big effect on bullet fragility when pushed at high Rs.
I think aliens intercepred them on the way to the target, lol. They just weren't grouping too well at 100 yds. During testing I would have two bullet strikes when I shot 3. Then again, 2 out of 3. I just tossed that idea aside and stayed with 55 HPBT GK and never varied from that. I do have a SPBT GK that will work for hunting but not nearly as accurate as the HPBT GK. Must be my rifle doesnt handle the Blitz's.

I think aliens intercepred them on the way to the target, lol. They just weren't grouping too well at 100 yds. During testing I would have two bullet strikes when I shot 3. Then again, 2 out of 3. I just tossed that idea aside and stayed with 55 HPBT GK and never varied from that. I do have a SPBT GK that will work for hunting but not nearly as accurate as the HPBT GK. Must be my rifle doesnt handle the Blitz's.

Bob,

Does the 55HPBT GK Sierra open violently on coyotes? I have a Savage bolt gun I just converted to 22-250 and my current load I just discovered groups very nice with it pushed by Rl 15. (sub .25")

I have been dialing in a load with the Nosler 50 gr. with the same powder but perhaps I should just stick with the Sierra #1390 in the '250?

It has been 13 long years being without a working 22-250 for me since the barrel went south in my Rem 788 and I sure like the added "jazz" it affords me!

Three44s

Here's a link for some loads. On the page there is another link to Sierra's load data. I haven't loaded the Blitzkings but with the Nosler 55gr and ZMax's I found either TAC or H4895 worked very well. http://www.6mmbr.com/223Rem.html

Bob,

Does the 55HPBT GK Sierra open violently on coyotes? I have a Savage bolt gun I just converted to 22-250 and my current load I just discovered groups very nice with it pushed by Rl 15. (sub .25")

I have been dialing in a load with the Nosler 50 gr. with the same powder but perhaps I should just stick with the Sierra #1390 in the '250?

It has been 13 long years being without a working 22-250 for me since the barrel went south in my Rem 788 and I sure like the added "jazz" it affords me!

Three44s
If I remember correctly (please verify) the Blitz #1455 has a sintered metal core under a tipped jacket. It detonates literally, on impact. Probably no exit. Possibly to save pelts. However, the Hollow points, Sierra #1390 , are also like dynamite on prarie dogs and bunnies. 1390's are equivalent to a Match king in accuracy. They literally destroy stuff and if not a head shot on a bunny you want to eat, it is rendered into soup. Mine are running 3600 fps over Varget and shoot really tight groups. I worked up a load of SPBT #1365 that acts like a normal bullet but haven't hunted with them yet. Can't vouch for performance, but group size opened up with these. Haven't spent time tweaking for better accuracy.
Hope this helps!

Attachments

• 20190106_124629.jpg
    20190106_124629.jpg
    693.5 KB · Views: 133
Bob,

Three44s
Well I tried posting my reply once and it bombed. Hopefully this won't show twice.
I'll try again here....
The Blitz is a sintered core (please verify) with a copper jacket and tipped. It is designed to detonate internally. Think it preserves pelts with no/or small exit wound.
The Hollow point is equivalent to dynamite, lol. If you arent doing headshots on something you want to eat, like a bunny, you will end up with soup. It cuts small critters into tiny pieces. It is equivalent to matchkings in accuracy. The Spitzer point bullets are not as accurate in my rifle but acceptable for hunting coyotes.
The picture I included shows the three boxes I have. Try the Blitz and see. I may be running too fast, but it wasn't important to me to play with them. I was happy with the HP mostly, the Spitzer, secondly. All are on Varget running 3550 fps on the Spitzer and 3600 on the HP, CCI 200 primers. Nothing special.
Good luck!

Attachments

• 20190106_124629.jpg
    20190106_124629.jpg
    693.5 KB · Views: 128
Bob, you made a comment about shooting 3 shots and only having two holes on the target. Last week I took one of the .223 rifles out after fitting a new scope, if I hadn't looked though the spotting scope after each shot I too would have thought aliens were doing strange things. This is the three shot group at 100m using Sierra Blitz Kings. 20181229_185519.jpg

Bob, you made a comment about shooting 3 shots and only having two holes on the target. Last week I took one of the .223 rifles out after fitting a new scope, if I hadn't looked though the spotting scope after each shot I too would have thought aliens were doing strange things. This is the three shot group at 100m using Sierra Blitz Kings. View attachment 116750
Awesome! I remember my groups were spread out a bit. After studying them I couldn't convince myself there was 1 hole with two shots through them out of 10 (3 round) groups. They just didn't impress. Possible, I could retest this using new powders etc., and come up with better results.
You can't beat that target you shared. My goodness! Maybe my 22-250 is running too fast and went way past the accuracy node. Hmmm., maybe another test is in order with a bit slower powder and much slower speed to start. Guessing you're around 3200 FPS max with the .223?

That rifle only has a 20" barrel and the velocity is just over 3000 fps even though the load is just under book max for Benchmark powder. The same load in my Steyr Mannlicher with the 24" barrel is just over 3200 fps. In my 22-250 rifles I have found IMR 4895, IMR 8208XBR and Reloader 15 to be excellent. The same day I shot the 223 group I also sighted in a new scope on a 22-250 with Sierra 55gr Game Kings and it produced a 3 shot group the went 0.269" with IMR 4895. Both rifles are Schultz and Larsen.

I
That rifle only has a 20" barrel and the velocity is just over 3000 fps even though the load is just under book max for Benchmark powder. The same load in my Steyr Mannlicher with the 24" barrel is just over 3200 fps. In my 22-250 rifles I have found IMR 4895, IMR 8208XBR and Reloader 15 to be excellent. The same day I shot the 223 group I also sighted in a new scope on a 22-250 with Sierra 55gr Game Kings and it produced a 3 shot group the went 0.269" with IMR 4895. Both rifles are Schultz and Larsen.
Think the Varget I'm using is not working on anything but the 55 gr. Hollow points. I see a pattern with the powders you're using and what I'm using. Thanks for your data! Gives me hope that I can play around with the 22-250 on my less than stellar Spitzer and Blitzkings. It's that "voodoo" between the bolt face and the muzzle that I need to play with.

I have shot a lot of the 50s and 40s. The 40s are pushing that fast and hold together. The 50's I have shot out of my 22-250 with great accuracy using TAC and 4064. Haven't tried the 55s as until recently, all my bolt guns had 14 twists and won't shoot a 55 grain boat tail. The 55 grain Vmax shoot into one hole out of my 223 so I will stick with them.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.